Sensors for smart agriculture

Hello, I am trying to build a project for smart agriculture/smart farming area. What sensors do you suggest to use? Any ideas?

alex5678:
Hello, I am trying to build a project for smart agriculture/smart farming area. What sensors do you suggest to use?

The ones that best fit your needs.

... and do not forget the cow-is-present-sensor ... and the farmer-is-looking-sensor!

Soil moisture capatance type
Tiping bucket type rain sensor
Temperature ds1ds18b20
Temperature BME280 humidity
Water flow
Light
Put these to get started
Datalog to an SD card
All this is easy to get started
Once you can do tjese
You will have a good idea of what else you want

Why not start by defining the problem with specifications including a flow chart and schematic. Define what is the expected outcome. Apparently you are not that familiar with farming. You might explain what type of farm it is, what produce is being grown or is it animal product.

And where in the world is this farm?

Paul

dave-in-nj:
Soil moisture capatance type
Tiping bucket type rain sensor
Temperature ds1ds18b20
Temperature BME280 humidity
Water flow
Light
Put these to get started
Datalog to an SD card
All this is easy to get started
Once you can do tjese
You will have a good idea of what else you want

Is the Soil moisture capacitance type better than the common resistive one?

The project targets on cereal grains. My brother has a farm and I want to experiment with Arduino and sensors, just for hobby. Any idea would help...!
Thank you

Restive soil sensor creates electrolysis and the metals leave one electrode and leach into the soil.

Restive soil sensor decay over the season.
Need to be replaced often

Sun and rain
Hourly temperature
Humidity and barometric pressure
Data log
Easy peesy

Robin2 has tutorial on RF

You can have a dozen stations sending data back to the farm
Even put it on The web

Get the parts listed and you can get one working as a beginner.
Data logging shields for UNO uses SD card
For NANO it uses micro SD
And a micro SD module is available.

All these have youtube and tutorials.so good beginner project

BYW out of curiosity. What part of the world is the farm?

What does barometric pressure do/help on sensing on the approach I described?
Thank you

When pressure drops fast you know a typhoon is coming, better open the flood gates so the rainwater can drain properly.

wvmarle:
When pressure drops fast you know a typhoon is coming, better open the flood gates so the rainwater can drain properly.

If it rains, so the farm will be irrigated, why open the flood gates??

alex5678:
If it rains, so the farm will be irrigated, why open the flood gates??

To let the excess out of course.

You obviously never experienced a proper rainstorm - if anything you don't want to impede on the flow of the water, you just want to get rid of it :slight_smile:

Dont forget a sensor to detect if any of the fields are missing.

alex5678:
What does barometric pressure do/help on sensing on the approach I described?
Thank you

you react to the dry condition, start watering, then the rains come and flood the crop.
and if you leave the flood gates up, you might need a boat to harvest.....
*if water is free, then no one cares. *
If you use motors to run the pumps, the water is not free and the costs to water before the rains is wasted.
for the 1 dollar for the sensor, it should be more information. and you only need one for the 5,000 acre spread. Typically one would expect the pressure in one area to be very close to the pressure a few miles away.
I am basing my recommendations on your post that are you doing hobby work and want easy to get started, but have enough information to use.

the DS18B20 sensors can be had with 1 meter cables and waterproof. you can bury these in the ground for soil temperature.
also, the capacitve soil moisture sensors can be put inside of a pipe and you can dig a hole and get soil moisture 1 meter below the surface, or 1/3 meter, or the root zone, etc.

search the web for the parts list and see what fits your budget.

Remember to remove ALL the equipment before harvest, if you can find the pieces.

Paul

CO/CO2/pH sensors can be used for this case?
(I have a few of them already, and I am wondering If I can do something)

Hi,
I hope this is a proof of concept project?
Some of the sensors suggested will not be super reliable or weather proof to provide long service life.

Do you aim to have these sensors in groups located around the farm site?
If so then you need to look at communication systems and remote powering.
This will have an effect on what you use as remote devices.

Thanks… Tom… :slight_smile:
PS.I have worked on a device for vineyard monitoring, to alarm when a frost is conditions are approaching.

How can illuminance affect smart agriculture? Any example with sensors? Also smoke sensor can be used somehow in Smart agriculture (or in a weather station somehow)? Thanks...