sensors in Industrial environment

Transparent plastic? Then simple optical sensors won't work. Although there are some very clever sensors that will work.

This is the link I get for searching "through beam" photoelectric sensors on Mouser: https://www.mouser.com/Sensors/Optical-Sensors/Photoelectric-Sensors/_/N-axgg4?P=1z0xkhl Most of them look very industrial. Modifying that search by going up and trying some of the other branches of sensors might find what you're looking for.

Pressure? You gave us a range but you gave it in kg. kg is a unit of mass. It isn't force or pressure. You are looking to measure the weight of something? A force? Remember the SI unit for force is the Newton (N) and the normal gravitational weight force is 9.8N per kg. You may sometimes see the deca-Newton (daN) which is pretty close to "1kg force".

Normally when you ask for a pressure sensor you are looking for an air pressure sensor. Honeywell make some great ones in the $30 range. Force is a bit more complex. Maybe you need to search for "strain gauge" or "weight scale"?

Thank you… I will look it up, the pressure rating is small < than 10 psi…

Some of the issue im struggling with are

1. is Arduino good for industrial purpose ? Is there an industrial version of the Arduino ? I will need to control a motor
  2. Most industrial sensors operate in the 10-24V range. I will probably need to build a circuit to step down the sensor output voltage to feed to the Pi.
  3. Last but not the least, price :smiley:

atulkatti:

1. is Arduino good for industrial purpose ? Is there an industrial version of the Arduino ? I will need to control a motor

Depends on which Arduino. The Uno/Mega definitely not (they’re not really suitable for any permanent installation). The breadboard-friendly, solderable versions are suitable provided you offer proper protection (sealed box).
There exist “ruggedised” versions of the Arduino but that’s mostly ruggedised against electrical mishaps.

1. Most industrial sensors operate in the 10-24V range. I will probably need to build a circuit to step down the sensor output voltage to feed to the Pi.

Of course. That’s easy enough once you have the actual specifications of the sensor. Some will offer 4-20mA outputs, others will offer digital outputs (such as RS232, RS485, or other protocols)

can you suggest the model names of these ruggedized versions of arduino

atulkatti:
can you suggest the model names of these ruggedized versions of arduino

Aptly enough they're called 'ruggeduino'.

It depends on the sensors you use and isolation levels you have used.

I have used an Arduino based industry ready device for IOT applications called norvi Controller. Which there is no much to worry about interference and industrial use.

I have purchased one of their products called NORVI IIOT. and made a web server with data logging.

you can check the datasheets at