sensors to scan a room

I am working on an indoor navigation project. Goal is to scan the entire room and detect an specific object. Planning to use RFID tags on that specific object.
Wondering what type of sensors are suitable for scanning the entire room & reading that RFID tags from a stationary point (the sensor is not moving).

Any suggestion?

How do you want to scan the room? Visually? What would be the planned purpose of the RFID? Identifying similar looking objects?

RFID sensors do not work over such a large range. I think your plan as described so far is not possible.

pylon,
I prefer not to do it visually. any sensor (or combination of it) for this purpose?
The purpose of RFID was to identify that specific object based on an ID. seems it is not possible. any thoughts?

pylon:
How do you want to scan the room? Visually? What would be the planned purpose of the RFID? Identifying similar looking objects?

Thanks Grumpy_Mike. Any alternate solution to achieve this goal?

Grumpy_Mike:
RFID sensors do not work over such a large range. I think your plan as described so far is not possible.

Any alternate solution to achieve this goal?

It is not clear what you goal actually is. All you asked about is scanning a room and reading an RFID token at distance. What are you actually trying to do.

Grumpy_Mike,
I am trying get the indoor location of an object based on its ID, and send the location info to a robot I have. I want to make the robot as less lightly coupled as possible to hardware changes. So don't want to put ultrasonic on top of it. Based on that indoor location info, I want the robot to move to that location.

That is a very hard problem, much harder than you think.
I used to work for a company that made radio pagers and they tried for years to have a system that would locate the location of a pager in a building and get it down to a room. This was for security and hostage situations.
There is no simple way of doing this.
The best at the moment is if you have an Zigbee node for each person / object you want to locate. This then uses the mesh network to measure signal strength from every node and then it attempts to calculate a location from that information. It is not perfect.
For a document, google
zigbee location
and look at the PDF of the second hit.

Camera on the ceiling pointing down, with large QR codes on top of the objects.
Not Arduino territory though.