Sensors to Track Moving Targets

Hi there,

I'm creating a robot that will be able to track the location of multiple moving balls and go retrieve them if they move into a certain location. I wanted to use a tagging system which would allow me to ID (as well as relay the location back to the robot) the balls and also store the area where the robot would not retrieve the balls. I wanted to the robot to do this by sending out a signal and having the tags on the balls send the information back. So I was wondering what type of system I should use to do this or whether or not if this is even possible with arduino.

If there is anything which is not clear please let me know and I'll try my best to clarify.

Sounds like a slightly de-identified version of the rules for a robotics contest. When is our robot due to compete?

RFID tags are great to identify objects but they don't have any location information other than knowing that they're right in front of the RFID reader.

How big is the area? Is it a uniform color? Is it flat? Can we install a laser fence or does everything have to be contained within the robot body?

I would look closely at the actual rules and see if it prohibits a giant wedge-shaped robot that simply camps out on the prohibited area and all balls landing on it roll back to the allowed area. A hundred bucks of lumber will perform better than a few thousand worth of electronics and sensors.

MorganS:
Sounds like a slightly de-identified version of the rules for a robotics contest.

Or a first-year Engineering project.