Serial.begin() rx/tx

Is it possible not to put serial.begin() because I will be using the pins 0 and 1 since I've ran out of pins but I need to communicate with the computer as well since I need to get the current time for the rtc.

Is it possible not to put serial.begin()

Sure yes.

but I need to communicate with the computer as well

Well omitting Serial.begin will stop that from happening.

Use a shift register to get extra output pins.

But will the RTC's time adjust if I initialize RTC.adjust(DateTime(DATE, TIME)); and I will not put serial.begin()?

You said:-

but I need to communicate with the computer as well since I need to get the current time for the rtc.

That does not stack up with :-

aprilmay11111: But will the RTC's time adjust if I initialize RTC.adjust(DateTime(DATE, TIME)); and I will not put serial.begin()?

Basically I have no idea what your code is, nor how your RTC is attached to your arduino nor what is running on your PC.

I am good but not that good, give us a break.

DATE and TIME are compile time constants. They will reset your clock to the time the program was compiled. Probably not waht you wnt.

Usually, when someone says they've run out of pins, it turns out that they haven't, for one reason or another. If you show us your code, it is quite possible that we can find some pins for you. It's not a certainty, but it's worth a try, right?

Yes normally people who say this don't know you can use the analogue pins as digital pins.

I still have pins A0 and A3 left. Yes, I belong to those people who doesn’t know that! Haha. :smiley: Thanks for the info. How would I initialize the analog pins as digital pins?

aprilmay11111: I still have pins A0 and A3 left. Yes, I belong to those people who doesn't know that! Haha. :D Thanks for the info. How would I initialize the analog pins as digital pins?

You just treat them like digital pins. Use pinMode to set input or output, then use digitalWrite or digitalRead to use them.