Serial Comm between Mega 2560 (REV3) and Xbee S2 using Arduino Xbee Shield v1.1

I'm rather new to XBee and simply trying to get them to work in point to point communication before setting them up with other network topologies.

I have the following shield

At the top of this page it states
"NB : This page refers to a deprecated product. Information on the current Wireless Shield can be found here"

On the same page there is a link to the Arduino wireless shield which has directions on setting up S2 modules. I've followed the directions on this page to setup 1 Xbee as the coordinator and the 2nd Xbee as the router. I set the DL and DH in the coordinator from the SL and SH in the router/endpoint. I also read elsewhere to set the DL and DH in the router/endpoint to the SL/SH on the Coordinator - not sure it's necessary but I tried this both ways. The coordinator is set with 1047 AT firmware and the router/endpoint is set with 1247 AT firmware.

(Note I've found the easiest way to communicate from the computer to the Xbee without other hardware is to jumper RESET to GROUND on your Arduino board whereas some directions on the links states to remove the processor.)
(Note2 - I'm using a MAC so I'm using Moltosenso Network manager to upload firmware and change the SL/SH, DL/DH and PanID)

I believe the configurations are working correctly because when connected to the computer I tried the RSSI test on Moltosenso Network Manager and found 1 remote node with the Routers SH and SL. I also see the Associate LED flashing as if it's found the Coordinator and joined the network.

I then uploaded the following code onto the Arduino Mega 2560's.

MEGA #1

void loop()
{
  Serial.print('H');
  delay(1000);
  Serial.print('L');
  delay(1000);
}

MEGA#2 loaded the COMMUNICATION -> PHYSICAL PIXEL

I reconnect the xbees to the arduino's and power them (i've tried powering both of them through USB and with a 9V battery). Either way nothing happens. Even the TX light on the mega sending the 'H' and 'L' doesn't light up until i open the serial monitor.

My main confusion is about the jumper settings on the Xbee shield. The jumper set in the Xbee mode are supposed to connect the XBee DOUT to the RX pin of the microcontroller; and DIN is connected to TX. But all the references talk about the FTDI USB to Serial chip in the Arduino, the Mega does not have this chip.

Any help is really appreciated...

It figures, I worked on this for days with no luck, and a couple hours after I post on the forum I think I figured it out. I changed the SCAN CHANNEL to 15 on both modules and it now works...

Now all i need to do is learn API to get the true power of these buggers....

not sure it's necessary but I tried this both ways.

It is, if you want bi-directional communications.

The coordinator is set with 1047 AT firmware and the router/endpoint is set with 1247 AT firmware.

Why aren't they using the same firmware?

The jumper set in the Xbee mode are supposed to connect the XBee DOUT to the RX pin of the microcontroller; and DIN is connected to TX.

But that is the HardwareSerial port setting, which you are trying to use to talk to the PC.

Of all the XBee shields around, the one you have, in my opinion, is dead last in desirability.

The replacement on the Arduino site isn't much better. The best one, though far from perfect, is the one that Sparkfun sells:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9976

At least the Sparkfun model allows you to select which pins the XBee's RX and TX are connected to.

When using it on a Mega, though, you can't use SoftwareSerial to talk to pins 2 and 3 (the alternate to the hardware serial pins), since they don't support pin change interrupts. You can jumper from 2/3 to RX1/TX1, though, and use Serial1 to talk to the XBee, leaving Serial free to talk to the PC.

Now all i need to do is learn API to get the true power of these buggers....

If you don't have Rob Faludi's book, Wireless Sensor Networks, I strongly recommend it.

Thanks for the response PaulS...I appreciate the comments. I really haven't been impressed with the shields available for the Xbees and think I'm going to buy the xbee explorer to convert the pin spacing to a breadboard. That way I can experiment with connecting them up and using the multiple serial options on the Mega.

They aren't the same software because I wanted one to be the coordinator - I read this is the way to configure them to do this...

I'll look into the book you recommended, as I've see it recommended several times on many forums...

Thanks...