Serial Comms with RPi3 and reset issue

I found that the USB port on Arduino Mega to USB on RPi3 causes a reset of the Arduino when serial communication is establishing. I hunted for some remediation of the situation (120ohm resister, 10uf capacitor, removing R3 etc.). I'm not keen on any of the solutions for different reasons (mostly because I would need to remove whatever was placed in order to reprogram).

So- to the question: if I use something like this: USB to TTL Serial Cable - Debug / Console Cable for Raspberry Pi : ID 954 : $9.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits instead; since this does not have DTR/RTS wire, would my reset issue be resolved?

Note: I'm using serial comms to print various sensor readings from Arduino to RPi3; MySQL (data logging).

Two ideas...

Get your RPi program to open the serial port and keep it open until it is finished with the Arduino.

If that is not an option use a USB TTL cable connected directly to the Arduino's Rx Tx and GND rather than the regular USB cable.

...R

You could use the 10uF cap method, and just manually press the reset button when uploading.

Pieter

Excellent thanks for both replies. I'm gonna order the TTL cable and use the RX/TX pins. While that's enroute, I have a 10 uf cap so ill give that a go as well. I was under the impression that I had to disconnect the cap in order to upload but just pressing the reset button is not that big of a problem so that looks like a easy fix. Thanks all!