Serial communication problem on Arduiono Nano Every

Hi Everyone,

I am pretty new here and also with arduino so please be forgiving. I have to boards, i stared with Arduino Leonardo and wrote a program in C# .NET using usb serial port with arduino and sends some binarry data to another device using arduino.

It works perfect when i use Leonardo, but i placed the same code to Arduino Nano Every and it looks like it is not communicating by serial port. I also tried to use build in serial port monitor and send some data, it should replay but it's not.

Can You help please ?

_
Regards Michael.

code? can we see the sketch?

Sure, Here’s the code:

void setup(){
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(8, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  int pinClk = 8;
  int pinData = 9;
  String dataClk = "10101010101010101110101010101010101110101010101010101110101010101010101110101010101010101110101010101010101110101010101010101111";

digitalWrite(pinClk, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(pinData, LOW);

String str = "";
  String data = "";
  char chr;
  while (Serial.available() > 0) {
    chr = Serial.read();
    str += chr;
  }

String command="";
  // COMMAND MASK #CC#DDDD...&
  if((str.substring(0,1)=="#") and (str.substring(3,4)=="#") and (str.indexOf('&')>3)){
     command = str.substring(1,3);
     data = str.substring(4,str.indexOf('&'));
  }else{
     if(command==""){command="0";} else { command="99";}
  }

switch(command.toInt()){
    case 0: break;
    case 1:{
      if(data == "START"){
        Serial.println("#01#STARTED&");
      }
      break;
    }
    case 3:{
      Serial.println("K " +command +" D " +data);
      break;
    }
    case 4:{
      String tonePin = data.substring(0,2);
      String toneMhz = data.substring(3,7);
      String toneSec = data.substring(8,12);

tone(tonePin.toInt(), toneMhz.toInt());
      delay(toneSec.toInt());
      noTone(tonePin.toInt());
      break;
    }
    case 10:{
      for(int j=0; j<3; j++){
        Serial.println("K " +command +" D " +data);
        for( int i=0; i<128; i++){
          if(dataClk.substring(i,i+1)=="0"){ digitalWrite(pinClk, LOW); } else { digitalWrite(pinClk, HIGH); }
          if(data.substring(i,i+1)=="0"){ digitalWrite(pinData, LOW); } else { digitalWrite(pinData, HIGH); }
          delay(9);
        }
        digitalWrite(pinClk, HIGH);
        digitalWrite(pinData, LOW);
      }
      break;
    }
  }
}

One more thing, after uploading the code there i can see this:

avrdude: jtagmkII_initialize(): Cannot locate "flash" and "boot" memories in description

Pins specified in code are acting proper so the code is uploaded successfully.

does the other side (C# or Serial Monitor) use 9600 baud?

Juraj:
does the other side (C# or Serial Monitor) use 9600 baud?

Yes, it would be too obvious :slight_smile:
Anyway, like i mentioned before, it works with arduino Leonardo so everythnig is set up properly by side of C# and serial monitor.

I FOUND A SOLUTION !

It looks like it worked before but arduino was treating every string as a char (while loop worked faster than SerialAvailiable was updating) so that’t why I haven’t received answer from it so i started deeper debuging and discovered as below.

For example, when i sent START it returned
S
T
A
R
T

so i realized that SerialAvailiable is too slow, so i added delay(1) in while loop

while (Serial.available() > 0) {
    chr = Serial.read();
    str += chr;
    delay(1);
  }

And it started to work !

Unfortunately i can send right now max 64 bits in one string, otherwise it will crush.
I tried to set baud rate for example 230400 but it’s working the same way.

Mayby soeone have any idea how to fix it in more professional way ? :slight_smile:

Anyway this is temporary solution, i can split longer strings to few shother than 62 chars (2 bits for \n)

The serial input basics tutorial might help.

micdzi:
Yes, it would be too obvious :slight_smile:
Anyway, like i mentioned before, it works with arduino Leonardo so everythnig is set up properly by side of C# and serial monitor.

on native USB on Leonardo the baud rate doesn't matter. it would work with different baud rates

micdzi:
so i realized that SerialAvailiable is too slow, so i added delay(1) in while loop
Anyway this is temporary solution, i can split longer strings to few shother than 62 chars (2 bits for \n)

Serial.available is not slow; the problem is that at 9600 baud it takes about 1 ms to transfer a character. So one character is received and you enter the while-loop and read the character. The next character has not completely been received yet so the next iteration of the while-loop will find that the next character is not available yet.

Read the link in reply#5 or the updated version of it.

Note
'\n' is a single byte, not two bits or 2 bytes. "\r\n" would be two bytes. So what is your C# application sending?