Serial communication with Putty

Not exactly an Arduino question (but there's one at the end of the chain), but I wondered if anyone else had run into this problem.

I've got an FDTI USB to TTL board in my USB port and the RX and TX's go off to the arduino.

I was trying to qualify things by sending a known quantity down the line with PUTTY (64bit) on Windows 7. But when I fire up putty I don't get a prompt in the shell. I've seen this issue on other forums but every one blames the device its connected to and I'm now wondering if its Putty.

In my case I know I have the settings, correct because I can bash a single character in the Putty shell and that character shows up at the Arduino (nothing ever shows in the putty shell). I can also scope it and decode the serial and I get the correct character.
I can send multiple characters through the FDTI board using the CMD shell (seen by both arduino and scope) I just can't seem to get the prompt in putty so I can send multiple characters from there.

Thoughts?

sharktank:
when I fire up putty I don’t get a prompt in the shell

Are you sure this isn’t just the normal and expected behavior of PUTTY?

What do you mean by “prompt”?

sharktank:
every one blames the device its connected to

My expectation is that PuTTY is only going to display what it receives on the serial port. If that’s a problem for you, I suppose you could blame that on the device, but I would more blame it on the code running on the device.

sharktank:
I just can’t seem to get the prompt in putty so I can send multiple characters from there.

It’s not clear what you meant by that. If you type multiple characters, aren’t they all being sent as soon as you type them?

I suspect you can adjust one of the settings in Putty so that it echoes what you type.

...R

In PuTTY, make sure you’re set for a serial session. Check for correct COM port and baud rate, 8 Data bits, 1 Stop bit, No Parity, and XON/XOFF flow control.

Under the “Terminal” settings, select Force On for both Local Echo and Local Line Editor. Note that you can save all of these settings (via the main PuTTY screen) for future use.

In your sketch, you may need to use the “trim” function to strip off the that PuTTY sends.

Hope this helps.
73, N1GNV