Serial Communication with RockBLOCK

Hello,
I’m attempting to communicate with a RockBLOCK Iridium SatComm module through a Sparkfun Redboard (Arduino Uno). I want to send AT commands through the serial monitor and then see the response from the RockBLOCK.

The Arduino is connected to the RockBLOCK through a logic level converter since the module runs on 3.3V TTL while the Arduino is 5V. I am able to make a direct serial connection to the RockBLOCk through UART and receive responses just fine. When I try this through the Arduino, I can’t get it to work.

I’m using the code below, as taken from a similar post at https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=161151.0. This seemed to work for that person who was sending AT commands to a Quectel M10 GPRS shield.

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial mySerial(4,5);

void setup()
{
mySerial.begin(19200);
Serial.begin(19200);
}

void loop()
{
if (mySerial.available())
Serial.print(mySerial.read());
if (Serial.available())
mySerial.write(Serial.read());
}

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Travis

tex792:
Hello,
I’m attempting to communicate with a RockBLOCK Iridium SatComm module through a Sparkfun Redboard (Arduino Uno). I want to send AT commands through the serial monitor and then see the response from the RockBLOCK.

The Arduino is connected to the RockBLOCK through a logic level converter since the module runs on 3.3V TTL while the Arduino is 5V. I am able to make a direct serial connection to the RockBLOCk through UART and receive responses just fine. When I try this through the Arduino, I can’t get it to work.

I’m using the code below, as taken from a similar post at https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=161151.0. This seemed to work for that person who was sending AT commands to a Quectel M10 GPRS shield.

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial mySerial(4,5);

void setup()
{
mySerial.begin(19200);
Serial.begin(19200);
}

void loop()
{
if (mySerial.available())
Serial.print(mySerial.read());
if (Serial.available())
mySerial.write(Serial.read());
}

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Travis

verify you have tx->rx

disconnect the rockblock, jumper from tx to rx of the 3.3v level shifter. you should see everything you type in the serial monitor echoed back.

Software serial has limitations, verify you are not running in to any of them.

Chuck.

Thanks Chuck. The more I work with this project, the more I think I need to go back and understand some basics about serial. I tried the method you described above, completely disconnected everything, and just tried to jumper directly between pins 4 and 5. I still get no response from the serial monitor.

I also tried this basic example on SoftwareSerial (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SoftwareSerialExample) which says it requires nothing but a USB connection to the board, and I still don't see any response when I type things into the serial monitor (tried on two different Uno boards). I feel like I'm missing something very basic here.

I think I'm going to start a new post under the "Networking, Protocols, and Devices" forum titled Serial 101 and get back to basics before moving on to level shifting and the RockBLOCK.

Serial Input Basics

I'm attempting to communicate with a RockBLOCK Iridium SatComm module

So, why is the instance named mySerial? That is a really dumb name that does not mean a thing.