Serial Communications Example

I'm still a newbie with the Arduino!

But I am a skilled ATmeaga programmer.

Is there a SERIAL PORT (UART) example? Read the serial port and echo it?

I just want to get a simple serial port test running.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

Have you looked through the examples in the IDE?

List of functions on the right side of that page.

I just looked at the directory of the serial com examples. I will have to try and look at the actual code later today.

As I said, I am new to the Arduino, but not new to the ATmega8 chips.

I won't be getting my Arduino UNO until probably early next week so I really cannot try anything right now.

I have been building development boards (more complex than the Arduind) for many years. These boards have been for both PIC and ATmega8 chips. All programmed in assembly language.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

macklinbob:
I have been building development boards (more complex than the Arduind) for many years. These boards have been for both PIC and ATmega8 chips. All programmed in assembly language.

Well then you will probably be horrified at the massive size of compiled Arduino firmware, but you may also be amazed at how easy it is to slap together a program with a couple of libraries. Seems like there’s an Arduino library for just about everything these days…

Thanks for the above information. I now have enough to get familiar with the AZrduino.

I HOPE!

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa

I won't be getting my Arduino UNO until probably early next week so I really cannot try anything right now.

Sure there is...
Load the environment 1.0.5 and have a play with the examples. They will compile, just not upload.

Ray