Serial Connection Issues

Hi, I have been trying for the last two days to connect to my Arduino Galileo Gen2 via serial. I have followed multiple guides, including Intel's own. I have tried it on Windows and Ubuntu without any results, the only way for me to connect is via SSH. I am sure that I have the FTID/FTDI drivers installed.

On Windows: (COM3)

• Arduino: is unable to upload any sketch with the error: ...ttyS8: Permission Denied
  • Putty: able to connect but nothing happends.

On Ubuntu: (ttyACM0)

• Arduino: is able to upload sketch but not able to communicate anything via serial monitor.
  • Screen: able to connect but nothing happends. (I have tried wating and pressing ENTER)

Anyone got an idea what I am missing?

I don't understand what you mean you cannot communicate to the serial by Serial Monitor.

What are you expecting the serial port to do?

I expect to be able to run commands through serial, is that not possible?

Only if you write it in your sketch.

Arduino runs compiled C code, it does not have an interpreter or something on the chip, unless you write one in your sketch and upload it. (If you're looking for a microcontroller platform that lets you get a console where you can, say, type "digitalWrite(pin,HIGH);" and have it set that pin high and otherwise run arbitrary code sent over serial, take a look at Espruino which runs interpreted JS and can be used interactively)

ieee488:
Only if you write it in your sketch.

I guess you don't exactly know what a Galileo is :wink: Neither do I but some research (on the link that OP provided) shows that it should be possible.

Step 3: Set up a serial terminal

@OP
No idea

I think you guys are missunderstanding whatI am trying to do. All I want is to do basic Linux commands through serial, like ls, cd, vim. Do I have to upload a sketch that enables the serial ports?

Should not be necessary. Most people don't have any idea what Linux / Unix is :slight_smile: I do, but have no idea about the Galileo :frowning:

Ok! I found the solution: apparently the USB port is only designed for sketch uploads. By connecting with an FTDI to the 6 pin I am able to use the board's linux console.

sterretje:
I guess you don't exactly know what a Galileo is :wink: Neither do I but some research (on the link that OP provided) shows that it should be possible.

Step 3: Set up a serial terminal

I am getting an error when I go to that page.

And if the OP had gone to that page would it have told him that he needed a FTDI cable to do what he wanted?

His original post was not clear and only three or four posts later do we actually get a post that clearly explained what he wanted. FWIW, I use Linux 95% of the time, so I do know what it is, if I knew the question being asked.

Original post was clear enough for me to understand what OP wanted to achieve. Maybe I do read too much in between the lines.