Serial Data Stream to Arduino

Hello, I am a bit of a serial newby, but what I have is a serial level sensor that sends a serial data stream to a slave module, the slave module displays the level of product in the tank. I have a level sensor set up on my bench, I can simulate a slave and display the level of product on my laptop using the tank sensor’s software and a supplied converter.

The serial data stream can be seen on the right hand side of the attached screen shot, the tank volume on the left (4344).

My question is how does it get that volume from the data stream?

I am guessing that 0x72 is the start of the message and 0x01 is the end of the message as these repeat consistently. But how is 4344 derived from the other parts of the message.

My plan is to use an Arduino Uno to intercept these messages and send them to my HMI via Canbus with a Canbus Shield.

Thoughts?

Serial Data Stream.bmp (3 MB)

I am guessing that 0x72 is the start of the message and 0x01 is the end of the message as these repeat consistently. But how is 4344 derived from the other parts of the message.

How do you get thoose values? Do you have any FTDI232 nearby? To "see" what is the Data stream form you could use the FTDI232 RX pin connecting it to the TX pin of your module to grab the stream data.For this task you could use putty or Realterm in hex format to get the bytes. After you get the stream data them we can give a try to decode you the messages are being sent.

Okay, someone else pointed it out, 10 f8 is 4344 in Hex, pretty obvious but I wasnt looking at it correctly. Now how would be able to read this using Arduino, I know thats a big question. The data sent from the level sensor is I2C I believe, the converter from the manufacturer has an ADM232AA #1323 IC. Which is to convert from I2C to RS232. But I want to be able to monitor the I2C data before the converter. Is this possible.

Okay folks, feel free to chime in on this one please, in need of help. I will post a oscilloscope screen shot of the serial message later.

Thanks, Edm

Here is the screen shot of the oscilloscope of the data stream, this repeats and doesn’t change so I am assuming its the actual serial message that the sensor puts out.

Titan Osilliscope 001.BMP (47 KB)