Serial Data via (RS232) to be saved to I2C eeprom

Hi Guys,

I am recording data from a device that sends data via Serial at (500000). I know that is a strange speed I thought that too, by I've tested it and it's 100% coming in at that speed.

I want to pass this information to my Arduino and then save the data to an external eeprom. My two questions are the following:

1. Is the Arduino faster enough for a baud speed of 500000. I checked online and it seems to be able to do it, but i just want to confirm.

2. Also, is the Arduino fast enough to get data from the Serial TTL and save it to the external I2C eeprom? It's about 20kb of information and I cannot save it in memory.

I'm a bit confused between I2C speeds and TTL RS232 Serial speeds.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Cameron.

1. Is the Arduino faster enough for a baud speed of 500000. I checked online and it seems to be able to do it, but i just want to confirm.

The Arduino can read serial data at that speed. It won't have time for much else, since the 64 byte buffer fills up pretty quickly at those speeds.

1. Also, is the Arduino fast enough to get data from the Serial TTL and save it to the external I2C eeprom?

Yes, some Arduinos can, at some baud rates, with some external EEPROM chips.

You'll need to test whether your Arduino, with your EEPROM, at your baud rate, can keep up.

I'm a bit confused between I2C speeds and TTL RS232 Serial speeds.

That's a little like being confused by your heart rate and the speed of a train past the town. Completely unrelated measurements.