Serial monitor crashing arduino

Im getting fed up with the arduino serial monitor.

From time to time Serial monitor hangs and the arduino program crashes. I am using Linux. Version 1.05 is a nightmare. version 1.5x is much better but it also crashes from time to time.

Any alternative serial monitor I could use on linux to avoid using serial monitor?

You can use about any terminal program to communicate with Arduino. I see Putty mentioned a lot, but have never used it. I have use Hyperterminal (Windows), though. The serial monitor can hang if you send data too fast. For instance, in a fast loop and high baud rate with no delays.

groundfungus: You can use about any terminal program to communicate with Arduino. I see Putty mentioned a lot, but have never used it. I have use Hyperterminal (Windows), though.

Yep, I tried to run a few windows apps using wine, but not much luck. Putty is a good bet. I think there is a linux version

groundfungus: The serial monitor can hang if you send data too fast. For instance, in a fast loop and high baud rate with no delays.

Thats exactly what I do and NEED to do ;)

Then forget about using windows an Linux they are crap at that sort of think.

Linux? Why not use GTKTerm (serial port terminal). I think nearly every distro has it in its repos. I use it with several serial connected devices. Of course it connects also with /dev/ttyUSBx...