Serial monitor I/O not displaying in IDE's monitor window using a DUE

I am new to Arduino but not to programming. I am using a DUE and have written a sketch to blink an LED on the device. The IDE, etc. works great on my PC, but I don't understand why I don't see the serial monitor I/O in the IDE's serial monitor window. I am using the DUE's " programming USB" connection to the PC. Once my sketch is compiled and loaded on the DUE do I need to use the other USB port to see the serial traffic?

Arizona_Dave: I don't understand why I don't see the serial monitor I/O in the IDE's serial monitor window. I am using the DUE's " programming USB" connection to the PC. Once my sketch is compiled and loaded on the DUE do I need to use the other USB port to see the serial traffic?

Depends on what you mean by "Other". It would help if you show us your code.

I don't have one of these contraptions and I must admit that I don't follow te Arduino.cc description of the function of the two USB ports, but if the port you're using doesn't provide the serial communication channel to the PC then I suggest you try the other one (remember to select the corresponding board type).

If trial and error doesn't solve the problem then I suggest you look in the Due section of the forum because the question is probably answered there already - and if not, that would be the best place to ask it.