Serial monitor limitations ?

Hi,

I am the lucky(?) owner of 6 very old circuits boards contaning old processors ( Z-80A, 8085 and 8031) and Eproms of the old type (2716 - 27C512).

They are working fine, although the Z-80A circuit seems to start malfunction. (Not a good situation, as it monitors a heater- system).

The other uPs controls other systems.

So I plan to change these uPs to a more modern type and use FLASH-ram where applicable, as most of these uPs can be replaced by one (or more) Arduino(s). (IF not I replace the EPROM with a Flash-RAM).

Source of these Eprom is long gone and forgotten.

But, Last week my old ISA-bus Compaq 486 shortcircuited in the Power-supply. And as it died it took my PC-Eprom burner (Sunshine EC-4) with it.

Situation: NO EPROM-reader - and a big need to read my Eproms.

Solution: I am planning to build a E-prom-reader with a 2650 Mega. Using port A-B as a 16 bits ADDRESS-bus, port C as Data-in port, and port D as Control (/oe and /rd ) and writing the appropriate code to control these ports.

And here is the real problem:

When I have read 16 bytes (adr: -xxx0 to -xxxF - written in Intel HEX-format) I want to transfer this line to the PC, which puts the line in a (string)-buffer and when the last line is read it saves the buffer in a file (eg: 2716bin1.hex)

It is possible with the serial monitor ? And how do i do it, if so ?

Kristian aka snestrup2016

It is possible with the serial monitor ?

The Serial Monitor app is designed to show data coming in the serial port in a window. It is NOT designed to save the data to a file. There are plenty of other serial apps, such as TeraTerm and PuTTY that can save the data to a file.

HI,

Thanks for a quick and precise answer.

I'll search for TeraTerm / PuTTTY.

Thanks again.

S-2016