Serial monitor output ceases after setting SD CS

I'm running the ArduCAM_ESP8266_OV2640_Capture example and after the setup SD.begin(SD_CS), no longer get any of the print statements on serial monitor. The User Guide has a note "SD/TF card CS pin is shared with UART TX signal, so the UART and the SD/TF can’t be used at the same time." Could this explain, which would mean can't have debugging print statements when using the SD card.

Could this explain, which would mean can't have debugging print statements when using the SD card.

Probably.

I would suggest that you post some links; people usually don't start digging the web to find (possibly the wrong) information.

I don't use ESPs so might not be able to help further.

Thanks for your response.

Here's link to the example sketches,

After reset, the program prints out the "ArduCAM Start!" but none of the other print statements. I added prints and found that stop getting output after the SD.Begin(SD_CS) statement.

It seems strange that the example has the other print statements if indeed the serial monitor uses the UART TX. The serial monitor is using COM port thru USB so is that sharing UART TX?

I would suggest getting the Arduino Mega since it has 4 hardware UARTs.

Thank you for the suggestion and I'll consider it but the engineer in me wants to understand why the sketch stops outputting. To confirm whether or not the serial monitor uses the UART and that there is a conflict with the SD select.

As said, not familiar with the ESP family. It's very well possible that the UART drives the TTL-to-USB converter is connected to the UART; that's the case with a lot of Arduino boards (Uno, Nano, Mega). I suggest that you look at the schematic of your board.