Serial Monitor

I have installed Arduino software on Win 10. I have configured successfully the communication and I am able to load and run programs. Basically running 3amps stepper with KL drivers. However, when going to the serial monitor and I typed $ or ? there is no reaction at all. I have tested different settings for speed 57 600, 115 200, 9600 and so on, as well as both nl&cr and the rest, but I am not able to get anything to or from the Arduino Uno I have. Any help is appreciated.

SN

It sounds like you have a program running on your Arduino although you have not told us what it is.

Without knowing that it is a little bit difficult to help.

I am not suggesting that you post the program code because I have a suspicion that it is a large and complex program.

By the way, is this just a Windows 10 problem - i.e. does it work on another Windows version?

...R

vanaia: I have tested different settings for speed 57 600, 115 200, 9600 and so on, as well as both nl&cr and the rest, but I am not able to get anything to or from the Arduino Uno I have. Any help is appreciated. SN

Write a very simple sketch to test communications. If you still have problems, post that simple sketch here.

I can see the point Robin2 made: well the program was not big, either complex. For test purposes I loaded 100 steps back and fort program. At this given moment I have only win10 and cannot test other os systems, unfortunately.

OldSteve - Now I have uploaded program from Examples-Basic-Blink. This is three lines code. And when I type $ or ? in the serial monitor, there is no action. So, seems I am not having any communication from the Arduino back to the pc, but I can load whatever I want and the Uno will run it. How do you see the problem?

Do you have anything in your program, such as Serial.print() or Serial.println(), that will send anything back to the serial monitor to display?

vanaia: I can see the point Robin2 made: well the program was not big, either complex. For test purposes I loaded 100 steps back and fort program. At this given moment I have only win10 and cannot test other os systems, unfortunately.

OldSteve - Now I have uploaded program from Examples-Basic-Blink. This is three lines code. And when I type $ or ? in the serial monitor, there is no action. So, seems I am not having any communication from the Arduino back to the pc, but I can load whatever I want and the Uno will run it. How do you see the problem?

What CrossRoads said. When I said this "Write a very simple sketch to test communications. If you still have problems, post that simple sketch here."

I meant a simple sketch that includes serial communications. Blink has no serial communications, so how can you expect to receive any serial input into the serial monitor?

Before typing ? or $ and expecting a response from an Arduino sketch, you must first write code in the sketch to receive the serial input then act when a $ or ? is received. Did you not know this?

vanaia: I can see the point Robin2 made: well the program was not big, either complex.

Then post your Arduino program here so we can see what you are talking about.

I thought you might have been using GRBL or something like that.

...R

Adding a simple notification in your code like below will let you know if your power setup is crashing the arduino and causing it to reset.

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("Arduino just reset"); // so I can keep track of what happened
}

thanks a lot Guys, problem is resolved. It was missing the Serial.print command…