serial monitor

How do I check if Arduino is sending a voltage to a certain port? I have a system that checks if two values are true before it tells a port to send a signal to a motor. How do I see if the motor is being powered by the Arduino with a serial monitor before I plug everything in?

Serial.print(digitalRead(Motor1)); ??? if so does that tell me the OUTPUT value or just the input whereas there isn't one. please help and thanks.

Reading the pin gives you the logic level at the pin. When the Arduino is driving the pin (pinMode is OUTPUT) this should do what you want: tell you if the Arduino is driving the pin HIGH or LOW.

so what do I put in the serial parentheses to know the OUTPUT???

Nick_H:
How do I check if Arduino is sending a voltage to a certain port? I have a system that checks if two values are true before it tells a port to send a signal to a motor. How do I see if the motor is being powered by the Arduino with a serial monitor before I plug everything in?

Serial.print(digitalRead(Motor1)); ??? if so does that tell me the OUTPUT value or just the input whereas there isn't one. please help and thanks.

1. This is the diagram that describes the internal structure of an IO Port pin (PD2) of ATmega328P MCU.
pd2.png
Figure-1:

2. Your write a value (HIGH or LOW) on a port pin and then read it back to see that the desired logic is on the pin. For example:

digitalWrite(2, HIGH);
bool n = digitalRead(2);   //the value is available via G2ID gate

3. If the DPin-2 is driving a load such that the pin voltage has gone down much below of VOH, then value of n in Step-2 may appear as LOW; whereas, you wrote HIGH over there. Therefore, it is recommended to execute this code: bool n = PORTD2; to know the actual value that was written on DPin-2. In Fig-1, we observe that PORTD keeps a record of the values written on Port-D by digitalWrite() instruction.

pd2.png