serial port Acknowledge

hi,
For my project I have to send message through serial port from PC.
Can you please tell why we have to send ACK through serial port , what will be advantage we get when we send ACK,

kindly help me to understand the concept of sending ACK through serial port .

In communication, when a system receives data, it can ACKnowledge that it has received the data by sending something back to the sender. That way the sender knows that the message was received and can e.g. send the next data to the other system. If it does not receive an ACK within a certain time, the sender will know that something is wrong and might e.g. retry.

So if you send something from the PC to the Arduino, the Arduino can reply with something like "OK" or "ACK"; there is also a dedicated ACK character in the ASCII table but Serial monitor will not print it.

paulsone:
Can you please tell why we have to send ACK through serial port

How else might you send it?

...R

Dear sterretje,
thank you very much for your reply.

Sample data
'.';
'E';
'P';
ACK;
'5' ;
'G'; .
'A';
'B';
NUL;
'1';
'4'; Check sum
EOT;

For example from the above data when Micro- processor receives ACK Character , it will send message to PC I have identified “’ EP’ YOU CAN SEND THE DATA ”
IF (REC_ARRAY*==EOT)*
{
IF (ACKNOWLEDGE==TRUE){
SERIAL.WRITE(“OK”);
}
}
hope my understanding is correct.

paulsone:
For example from the above data when Micro- processor receives ACK Character , it will send message to PC

Only if you program it to do that.

Where does the sample data come from? Is it being produced by an Arduino program? If so please post the program.

...R