Serial port COM1 in use.(can't upload sketch)

For about a week now I have been searching for a solution to this issue, and have turned up dry. I have not had this issue in the past, and have tried changing the COM port several times to one not in use, reinstalling drivers, changing USB port, closing any programs that use COM ports, and disabling then enabling the COM port to no avail. I am new to Arduino, and don’t think this will help but here is the error message :

processing.app.SerialException: Serial port ‘COM1’ already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:171)
at processing.app.Serial.(Serial.java:77)
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:77)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Serial port ‘COM1’ already in use. Try quiting any programs that may be using it.
at processing.app.debug.Uploader.flushSerialBuffer(Uploader.java:101)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadViaBootloader(AvrdudeUploader.java:175)
at processing.app.debug.AvrdudeUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(AvrdudeUploader.java:67)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1671)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1627)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1599)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2380)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Any additional information I will be willing to provide to an extent; for, I am very eager to solve this issue any and all help would be appreciated greatly, even if it was listed as attempted.

Are you ever able to upload to the Arduino?

...have tried changing the COM port several times to one not in use...

Do you actually know which COM port the Arduino is on? I can pretty much guarantee it won't be COM1...

In the IDE go to tools > serial port and see what serial ports are available, and if more than one, select the other port for use.

I changed my COM port to 1 while cycling through various COM ports, and was able to upload when I first got the Arduino, but I'm not sure what changed to cause this. My only thought is reinstalling the IDE and drivers, but I followed the same steps that I did when I first installed it, and no such issue existed then until now.

Install a PDA / mobile phone application recently?

You don't say what OS you use on your pc, but the UNO arduinos use a special driver that needs to be installed vs. the older arduinos that used the FTDI chip.

Sorry about not stating that I use Windows 7 Home Premium, and have an Arduino Mega. Nope I have not installed a PDA knowingly.

You can go to device manager and plug/unplug your arduino USB cord from the pc and see which com port appears/disappears. This would identify which comport to use in the arduino IDE.

You dont have a serial window open somewhere by chance ?

zoomkat: You can go to device manager and plug/unplug your arduino USB cord from the pc and see which com port appears/disappears. This would identify which comport to use in the arduino IDE.

Goto (pun intended) Device Manager and DISABLE / remove all susspect USB ports ( don't kill your external HD if on USB if you have one or other USB connected devices!) and let the device manager find them again. The port in question is stuck in some app you do not know about. Sometime the solution was to completely remove all power to PC - but that was with the real COM cards!

I sometimes get the comport not available (arduino is the only comport device connected to the pc) and it appears to be an issue with the arduino IDE. I close the IDE and in task manager the IDE still appears to be running and can't be closed as it is "protected". I have to reboot to get rid of the apparently hung running IDE and fix the issue.

I was incapable of recreating the above mentioned on my PC thanks for the recommendation though.