serial port problem

I have a problem getting the right serial port for the arduino uno:(

I have mac osx 10.5.8 and i installed the latest driver (22). when i connect the arduino uno board and try to choose the right serial port in IDE it only recognises /dev/cu.usbmodem654 instead of /dev/cu.usbserial...
then if i check my internet setting it finds a network named arduino so i think my mac doesnt sees it as a serial port but as an internet connection. and if i unplug the arduino board it doesnt see the usbmodem serial port anymore.

when i select this port and try too upload anything the IDE says: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Can anyoune help me fix this problem because i realy want to get started on my projects:)
I tried to find a similar post but couldnt find it...

thanx

I tried to find a similar post but couldnt find it...

Hard to believe. This section of the forum is full of them. Perhaps you also failed to notice that the IDE pointed you to the troubleshooting section on the web.

mane:
I have mac osx 10.5.8 and i installed the latest driver (22).

With OSX there is no driver to install for the Uno. If you installed the FTDI drivers, those have nothing to do with the Uno. They won't hurt, but they don't help either.

mane:
when i connect the arduino uno board and try to choose the right serial port in IDE it only recognises /dev/cu.usbmodem654 instead of /dev/cu.usbserial...

That is exactly what you should expect to see.

mane:
then if i check my internet setting it finds a network named arduino so i think my mac doesnt sees it as a serial port but as an internet connection.

The Uno emulates a USB modem. That is why no driver is necessary.

when i select this port and try too upload anything the IDE says: avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

If you search the forums you'll find this is a generic error message. Generally the Uno isn't being reset (for whatever reason.) Sometimes on OSX, you'll get the error message when using the Uno with a USB hub.

Try doing a manual reset. (Pressing and holding the RESET button, clicking upload in the IDE, and releasing the button 1-2 seconds after the "Sketch Size" message appears.)

Thanx for all the answers.

I tried the manual reset but still no result. It still says programmer not responding. And if i trie it again then it will just keep uploading but nothing happens:( after that i cant close the ide anymore, or it gives me the error that the com port is already in use.
Aswell i havent seen the tx and rx leds blink.

what am i doing rong??

Go back to basics. Do you have another cable you can use?

yes i have tried it with 3 different cables and all my usb hubs. but the problem continues.