Serial.print() to a file.

Hello... is there any way to send my debug info (from Serial.print() ) directly to a Windows file on my desk top? It goes to the Serial Monitor in the IDE... but I want it to go automatically (with out me cut and paste) to a simple ASCII file I can later look at. Thank you for the help.

Use a program like putty (or TeraTerm) on your PC in place of the IDE. You can use putty to print the incoming data in a window and also save it to a file.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I may have asked the question wrong :frowning: I am looking to have it drop automatically to a file with out my intervention at all.

SamBrownADK:
Thanks Pete.

I may have asked the question wrong :frowning: I am looking to have it drop automatically to a file with out my intervention at all.

Wave your wand! If you want magic.

The rest of us mundanes have to actually work to get things done.

I wrote a replacement for the SerialMonitor that accomplished what you want. But, It took effort. And the serial data has to be correctly formatted. The data is send with header blocks and control character quoting. Nothing is automatically done.

el_supremo:
Use a program like putty (or TeraTerm) on your PC in place of the IDE. You can use putty to print the incoming data in a window and also save it to a file.

Pete

@el_supremo, Has shown you the way. If you choose not to take the path you will not arrive.

Chuck.