Serial.println question

Hi guys

I'm using Serial.println to output a byte value to a terminal to see what number it is (0-16 in my case).

The question is, can I stop the automatic carriage return? Or possibly use a work-around/bodge?

I want to have something displaying like:

"Pin number set to 1 and 2."

Where "1" and "2" are two different variables (bytes).

Currently it looks like: "Pin number set to 1 and 2."

Not useful on a 4-char high display! The display is via RS232 not driven from the Arduino.

There is the non line-feed equivalent:

Serial.print( "no new line!" );

Ah I didn't realise print could print strings, I was always under the impression that only println could. Works great now, thanks.

Maltelec: Ah I didn't realise print could print strings, I was always under the impression that only println could. Works great now, thanks.

AFAIK the only difference between Serial.print() and Serial.println() is the addition of the new line at the end of the Serial.println(). Otherwise they are identical in capabilities. Now, sometimes those capabilities can get in the way and what you are trying to output over the serial is being interpreted in ways you don't want. In those cases use Serial.write() to just dump the raw value of the arguments to the serial port (especially useful if you are trying to output binary data).