serial shift register SN74LV8153

Any use the SN74LV8153 ? or similar ?

looking to control some relays with a 1 wire chip.

dave-in-nj:
Any use the SN74LV8153 ? or similar ?

looking to control some relays with a 1 wire chip.

No one has picked this up so I will reply. I've never heard of this part. It seems to be a maximally complicated shift register, apparently designed by Rube Goldberg himself. I love the part where you have to transmit 20 bits in two separate 10 bit transactions to it so that it can latch 8 bits of actual information! Genius! Rube would be proud.

But, yes, it gives you a way to one-wire address up to 8 of these chips (64 outputs), at a not very impressive rate of 24 Kbps.. This assumes your algorithm can output those bits with strict clock timing (probably you want interrupts off). I think that shiftOut and SPI are off the table here. You have to transmit 20 bits and those libraries (and the SPI hardware itself) is just not set up to do work in anything other than 8 bit chunks. You could attempt to send a byte with the first 8 bits of the first transaction, and then another byte with the last 2 bits of the first transaction and the first 6 bits of the second transaction and then a final byte with the last 4 bits of the second transaction and then presumably four zeros. But I doubt it will work because of timing issues. So you are left to bit-bang it, and make sure to do that with strict timing.

Of course, If I had one of these chips I would have wired it up and figured it out by now, I doubt it will take very long to master

"Up to 40 mA Current Drive in Open-Collector Mode for Driving LEDs"

And only 8mA of sourcing output at 4.5V in Push-Pull mode.

That is probably not enough for a relay. I would think you would drive a transistor and then drive a relay and you have to protect the transistor with a snubber diode. Like this:

For this configuration, you use the chip in push-pull mode and source current to activate the transistor and relay.

(credit: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/relay_driver.jpg)

relay_driver.jpg

Thank you Sir !

I am trying to create a simple remote board that will have 4 relays and 4 analogue inputs.
the application is for a greenhouse heater/fan area.

simple is the key and I already have a 595 with relays for watering and such.
Since I have that board, I was looking for a chip that could fit into the existing board and not require a second board.

looks like I might be better off just putting in a simple stand-alone Arduino nano or of the variants.
(I like the nano because the pin-out is so close to the Uno) this would allow the on-board ADC.......

I VERY much appreciate your taking the time to enlighten me. You also put a place in this forum that others will be able to find. I had very little luck finding any other posts for this chip. And now I know why !

JoeN,

I was googling more and this thread was one of the top results !

thanks again.

bty, in a belated move, I bumped your karma.

dave-in-nj:
JoeN,

I was googling more and this thread was one of the top results !

thanks again.

bty, in a belated move, I bumped your karma.

Thanks. Google is a very smart search engine and I have no idea how fast they can refresh it with all reachable pages on the Internet, but they seem to do it very, very quickly.