Serial terminators with arduino

Hello all,
I found out that sometimes trying to find answers to the simplest questions using google is harder than addressing complex issues. My question is simple:
I start the Arduino IDE and open the Serial Monitor. I write something down and press Enter.
The message is transferred through the serial port as a string.
Can anyone, once and for all, tell me what kind of terminator, if any, is added to the end of the message?
Is it CR? LF? none?

I thank you all so very much (seriously),
and hope that this might bring some help to others in the future.

Tim.

I start the Arduino IDE and open the Serial Monitor.[b] I write something down and press Enter.[/b]

What you are trying to do???usually terminator will be in case of arduino MESSGE. If you have any doubt . use docklight software & open same serial port on it. You will read complete value

Can anyone, once and for all, tell me what kind of terminator, if any, is added to the end of the message?
Is it CR? LF? none?

That depends on what YOU choose in the lower, right corner of the Serial Monitor application.

PaulS:
That depends on what YOU choose in the lower, right corner of the Serial Monitor application.

cant believe that ive been working with arduino for more than a year and ive missed that. :sweat_smile:
thanks a lot!