Serial1 was not declared in this scope - Arduino pro mini

Hi I am new to arduino and I am trying to make my mum's IBM Model M Keyboard into bluetooth following this project tutorial using Adafruit Bluefruit EZ-KEY HID , using a pro mini Atmega168, 16Mhz, 5V.

That tutorial was designed for Arduino Micro and as I think its becsuse the pro mini has 1 less serial port then micro, I have got "serial1 was not declared in this scope" error when complying the code from the downloadable library from the tutorial site.

// receive any messages from Bluefruit and output them if necessary unsigned char c; while (Serial1.available()) { c = (unsigned char) Serial1.read(); if (debug_enable) Serial.write(c); }

I did some googling and I think I should use SoftwareSerial, I went through the library code and found it complicated I couldnt even locate where the Serial and Serial1 were declared from the original code.

Would someone please give me some advice on where should I add the line SoftwareSerial?

Are there limitations to the selection of pins (pro mini Atmega168, 16Mhz, 5V) for SoftwareSerial?

There are some examples showing how to use SoftwareSerila here;

Arduino Software Serial

I did some googling and I think I should use SoftwareSerial, I went through the library code and found it complicated I couldnt even locate where the Serial and Serial1 were declared from the original code.

Serial and Serial1, for Arduinos with more than one hardware serial port, are declared in the HardwareSerial.h and HardwareSerial.cpp files.

Would someone please give me some advice on where should I add the line SoftwareSerial?

As a global variable.

Are there limitations to the selection of pins (pro mini Atmega168, 16Mhz, 5V) for SoftwareSerial?

You really should determine the answer to this question yourself. There IS documentation on the Reference page for all the libraries that come with the IDE. The one for SoftwareSerial explicitly defines which pins can be used, on various Arduinos.

tclam662: using a pro mini Atmega168, 16Mhz, 5V.

I suspect you should be using a Pro Micro rather than a Pro Mini. The Pro Micro is like a small Leonardo and can pretend to the PC that is is a keyboard.

The Pro Micro also has a spare HardwareSerial port known as Serial1

...R