series 2 xbee to xbee,

I am looking for a little help on a pretty simple project I'm working on. Basically I have 2 xbee series 2 radios. The idea is simple, when I close a switch on one, an led lights on the other, simply a remote switch.

If possible I'd like to avoid changing the firmware, done it many times but it does not always go smoothly. I have established that they are talking to each other, by typing into the terminal and seeing the output on the other. I even used 2 computers. I have been using 2 de-chipped arduinos and xctu to program. I move the xbees to an xbee board on a radio shack project board once programmed.

The transmitter is set up as a xb24-b znet 2.5 router/ end device AT. It simply has voltage, ground, the associated LED on pin 15 and it blinks just as it should. The switch is connected to pin 19 and ground (ground is correct, right??). In XCTU I have pin 19 (ad/di01) set to 3- DI. I/o sampling rate IR=0, Digital IO change detection IC=FF Everything else at their defaults.

The receiver is set up as an xb24-b zigbee coordinator AT-. another simple set up of voltage, ground, associated led. Pin 19 (d1-di01) set to 5- DO HIGH. An LED is connected to pin 19 and ground. But when I hit the switch the LED does not light.

I think I am really close but I am missing some key piece of information. I have spent many many hours trying to figure it out but I am stuck. So if you can help me out I'd really appreciate it, also I won't need to get a straight jacket or a rubber room.

Thanks, Jim

The transmitter is set up as a xb24-b znet 2.5 router/ end device AT. It simply has voltage, ground, the associated LED on pin 15 and it blinks just as it should. The switch is connected to pin 19 and ground (ground is correct, right??). In XCTU I have pin 19 (ad/di01) set to 3- DI. I/o sampling rate IR=0, Digital IO change detection IC=FF Everything else at their defaults.

You've defined pin 19 as an input pin. Good. Then, you have a switch between that pin and ground. What good is that doing? What are you switching on to provide the input to be read?

well maybe that is where I made one of my mistakes. If that is true than then the switch should be wired between pin 19 and the Vref pin. Sounds like it could be the same trouble on the other board as well.

I'll give it a shot, thanks, Jim

On the transmitter the switch is now connected to pin 19 and vref.

on the receiver I tried connecting the LED to pin 19 and vref, nothing. Then I tried connecting the led between 19 and ground and it stays on steady. so back into xctu with the receiver and I set pin 19 (d1-dio1) to 4-DO-low. Now the LED is off but at least I see the pin can turn on and off the LED.

so the critical thing I am missing is... Having the transmitter send the state of the pin -OR- Having the receiver change the state of the pin -or- both. Any help appreciated.

Using X-CTU, you should be able to read the state of the pins on the transmitter. Does pin 19 go HIGH, or does it go LOW when the switch is pressed?

Just connecting a switch between VRef and the pin is not really adequate. What is the state of the PIN when the switch is not pressed? Read up on "floating pin".

You should also be able to change the state of the output pin using X-CTU, for the receiver. If you can turn the LED attached to the receiver on and off, then the receiver is working.

Is there an Arduino in the picture?