Series of coin vibrating motors

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to circuits, Arduino, and programming. I'm trying to create a prototype for an idea of mine that requires controlling 4 separate coin vibrating motors through 1 program. As I'm in the early stages, I'm just trying to understand the basics of the circuit required. I'd like to use my Arduino UNO R3 and breadboard. I have successfully created a circuit powering 1 3.3V coin motor (did not use any MOSFET or progamming to control functionality). However, I'm not sure how to handle incorporating 3 more coin motors into the circuit. I need to be able to write a program that will turn on specific coin motors and control their individual vibration intensity/timing (I'd like them to pulse at a controllable speed) depending on external information that will be fed into the program. Can anyone share any advice or resources to help me get started?

I appreciate your help! :slight_smile:

• Thor

Does that motor use 20mA or less? Using four such motors You need to consider the maximum total current given out from the UNO. How much current does the 3.3 volt converter offer? Check the specifications for Your board.

Thanks for you reply! I’ll have to look into that. Would the maximum total current be a factor even if only one motor was to be actually running at any given time? Essentially these motors will be in four different locations on the prototype, but only 1 will be vibrating at a time.

I would think the "BlinkWithoutDelay" example would be a good starting point for turning an output on and off.

For variable speed you should use PWM outputs and "analogWrite()".

Since the 3.3V power for the motors is a different voltage and possibly higher current than the Arduino outputs can handle directly, you should probably use an NPN transistor or N-Channel MOSFET to allow the Arduino UNO to control the motors. In theory you could, instead, use the bottom 2/3 of the PWM range (0-168). This would reduce the 5V of the Arduino output to an average of 3.3V or less. That might work IF the motors draw significantly less than 40 mA (say 30 mA or less).