Series1 or Series2 XBee's and opinions about temp logger

I want to make a temperature logger inside a house with arduino, laptop and couple of XBees.

Logging machine has to be in garage. It will make graphs of temperatures and let you access it from internet.

Boiler room: 1x ds18b20 for water temperature. XBee to send data to another XBee

Garage: 1x ds18b20 to measure temperature outside XBee Explorer USB with XBee to gather data to PC

Living room: XBee + lcd + ds18b20 Shows all three temps. Inside(livingroom), outside and water.

[u]Questions coming[/u]:

Is this even possible? Livingroom and boiler room will be transferring data to garage. Boiler room is oneway but living room will send and receive. Is range too much? Is it ridicilous idea?

Im new to XBee, i've never had one. Should i first get series1 to learn. I've read it would be easier? But series1 cant be used with multiple XBees, only point2point? Or just buy three pieces of series2 XBee's and try to make what i described. * So first of all. Series1 or Series2?*

What about XBee antennas. Will chip antenna be sufficient? I've read that chip vs whip doenst have difference indoors. Garage and boiler room Xbees will have about 5-7m distance. Living room and garage will have about 20-30m with 3 to 4 concrete walls.

[u]Coding[/u]: Will it be hard? I've played with arduino for maybe a year but havent done much. But im concerned about LCD and XBee. How will it work? Will it work?

Is this even possible?

Yes.

Livingroom and boiler room will be transferring data to garage. Boiler room is oneway but living room will send and receive.

Life would be simpler if you could do the data collection on SD card or from the living room Arduino to PC. You could use Series 1 radios then. Since you really do have a network, you need Series 2 radios.

Is range too much?

If your house is 16,000 square feet, maybe. If it is 600 square feet, no.

Is it ridicilous idea?

Not at all.

What about XBee antennas. Will chip antenna be sufficient?

Longer is better. The wire antennas are about 1.25 inches long, and provide decent range indoors. The chip antennas would be fine for the same distance outdoors (line of sight).

Will it be hard?

No it’s software.

How will it work?

Just like wires, except without wires.