Servo and Capacitor

Hello dear forum members,

I would like to run a servo motor (Miuzei DS3218 - 4.8V-6.8V, because i need the 270° control angle) with an arduino uno. Unfortunately the power supply from the arduino is too weak and breaks down. I have read that you can connect a capacitor in parallel to the servo.
I have a capacitor with 25v and 470uF. can i use this capacitor. I am unsure about the 25V.
What other capacitor could i use ?
Thanks for the help

@peaktech

Your topic was Moved to it's current location / section as it is more suitable.

Could you also take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.

Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum in the future.

The voltage on a capacitor is it's maximum rating so it's OK. In fact, it's good practice to "de-rate" capacitors (and other parts) and use a capacitor with a higher voltage rating than the voltage you're actually applying.

But, that's unlikely to help. A capacitor can supply a temporary "surge" of current, but it's a very short-term energy storage device. It doesn't generate energy. A capacitor can sometimes help with a regular DC motor because they need extra current when they first start rotating. A servo has different characteristics.

If you are powering through the Arduino, using it's on-board 5V regulator, that can't supply enough current to power a motor. Motors need their own connection to the power supply.

That is a large and power-hungry servo. You need a separate supply that can deliver at least 2A, preferably at 6V or more. The Arduino 5V regulator is good for about 0.2A. A capacitor isn't going to be nearly enough help.

Steve

Thanks for the answers.
Do you have an alternative for a servo with low power consumption and 270/360 degrees rotation.

There are no servos that can safely be run from the Arduino 5V pin. I can't think of any small 270 degree servos but a Google search may find some.

BTW be careful looking for 360 degree servos because most things called that are continuous rotation servos i.e. geared motors with absolutely no control over positioning.

Steve

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.