Servo CRASH ARDUINO Problem

I connected two Servos using Y connector and the Y connector plugged to Arduino, I added a receiver to Arduino so I could remote control the Servos.

As long as the Arduino was connected to the PC power supply by USB cable I had no problems. But when I plugged the Arduino to a battery (12 V 1800 mAh) the Servo began to shake and make the moves I made with the remote... if I made a quick movement at the remote the Arduino "crashed".

(the project is a rc plane so that the problem is in the ailerons servos that connected together... there is no problem with the Independently connected servos like the Elevator servo and the Rudder servo).

Hi srrs4

Probably better to supply power to the servos EDIT directly from the battery [u]via a separate regulator[/u], rather than from the 5V output of the Arduino. You may be drawing too much current from the voltage regulator on the Arduino.

Regards

Ray

srrs4: I connected two Servos using Y connector and the Y connector plugged to Arduino, I added a receiver to Arduino so I could remote control the Servos.

As long as the Arduino was connected to the PC power supply by USB cable I had no problems. But when I plugged the Arduino to a battery (12 V 1800 mAh) the Servo began to shake and make the moves I made with the remote... if I made a quick movement at the remote the Arduino "crashed".

Please upload a picture of you project so we can see the wiring... If it works fine on USB(5V 500mAh) i can't understand why there is a problem on a12V 1800 mAh battery.. Maybe your batteries are not so good.. :~ :~ Also, you use the barrel jack to supply those 12V or the Vin?

If it works fine on USB(5V 500mAh) i can't understand why there is a problem on a12V 1800 mAh battery..

If the servos are connected to the Arduino 5V pin, then in the first case, the power is going directly from USB to servos. In the second case, power is being regulated down from battery voltage to 5V. There may be a battery problem, or maybe the regulator on the Arduino can't handle the total current of Arduino and servos.

thanks for the answers :), I have not tried to connect the battery directly to the circuit that controls the rc plane because it would burn it ... I tested it on servo that is not really good and I do not use it and it burned... i fix it by adding 1000uf capacitor betwin the 5v output to gnd.

thx for the helpers :)

srrs4: thanks for the answers :), I have not tried to connect the battery directly to the circuit that controls the rc plane because it would burn it ... I tested it on servo that is not really good and I do not use it and it burned... i fix it by adding 1000uf capacitor betwin the 5v output to gnd.

thx for the helpers :)

If you mean 12V on the Vin, no it won't burn the Uno(if it's exactly 12V)

DC power jack (7 - 12V) USB connector (5V) VIN pin of the board (7-12V) http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardUno

I'm very sorry, srrs4. I should have said connect servos to a separate regulator running from the battery :(

I have edited my bad advice in earlier post.

srrs4: I fix it by adding 1000uf capacitor between the 5v output to gnd.

That's a very bad "fix".

You must not try and operate servos from the 5V output of the Arduino, relying on its regulator or you will continue to have trouble - intermittently. Use a separate (6V actually,) regulator rated to operate the servos (at least 1A).

maybe it would be a better idea if he used a motor driver or a servo controller ?

im not using any motor/servo controller and the capacitor work great so far…

srrs4: im not using any motor/servo controller and the capacitor work great so far...

maybe it would be better if you did.. As for the capacitor i don't know much , but on a previous post they told it's a bad fix..

use a 7805 direct from the battery to the servo power input (if they are 5 volt. the regulator on the arduino can not have these high amps. the capacitor is helping but is not a good solution. 7805 will get hot, soanother type with a switching is better, you can also use just 6 volts better and more power in unit.

Below is the typical way to externally power a servo. Bottom is a way to increase the voltage of a 7805 regulator chip from 5v to 5.7v for better servo performance.