servo motor power supply

I have a new 6221MG servo motor. it’s a larger servo with metal gears. its rated at 4.6 - 6 volts but i cant find info on how many amps it draws. will my uno feed enough amps through the 5 volt pin for this size servo or does it need a power supply?

An UNO feeds 20 mA, shortly 40 mA. You need drivers rated for what ever current being needed.

Railroader:
An UNO feeds 20 mA, shortly 40 mA. You need drivers rated for what ever current being needed.

Those values are for the digital outputs, but the board itself can supply up to a few hundred mA.

Don’t use the Arduino to provide power for your servo.

The stall current of a "20Kg" servo is likely to be around 4A which is WAY MORE than the 5V pin can support. You definitely need an external power supply.

Steve

taterking:
I have a new 6221MG servo motor. it's a larger servo with metal gears. its rated at 4.6 - 6 volts but i cant find info on how many amps it draws. will my uno feed enough amps through the 5 volt pin for this size servo or does it need a power supply?

I power 3 20Kg 4.8-6.8V metal geared servos, 24/7 running a X/Y/Z platform with their own 7805 regulator; been running for almost a year.

In the past, I used a single regulator to run one servo and the ESP32 uController. That move cost me 2 ESP32's. Since putting the servo(s) on their own regulator no more burnt out ESP32's.

taterking:
I have a new 6221MG servo motor. it's a larger servo with metal gears. its rated at 4.6 - 6 volts but i cant find info on how many amps it draws.

Funny! I had no trouble finding this page which cites stall current at 1600mA, albeit at 5.2 V. At 6 V it might be nearer 2 Amps.

taterking:
will my uno feed enough amps through the 5 volt pin for this size servo or does it need a power supply?

The UNO - or any Arduino - is simply not some sort of power supply; you do not "feed" power through it.

It is most unfortunate that any purportedly "instructional" website might ever suggest such at concept but - well, this is the Internet, isn't it?

Idahowalker:
In the past, I used a single regulator to run one servo and the ESP32 uController. That move cost me 2 ESP32's. Since putting the servo(s) on their own regulator no more burnt out ESP32's.

I am not sure what to say about that! :astonished:

thanks you everyone. this is just the info i was looking for. I was looking for the amps that these things draw and peoples experiences with them. Idahowalker's comment was actually a very direct answer based on his expirience. I wanted to know if my servo would draw too many amps through my uno's on board voltage regulator before hooking up my servo to the 5 volt pin. anyways, i will be sure to get a sufficient external regulated power supply based on the amperage you guys mentioned. thanks again!

taterking:
I wanted to know if my servo would draw too many amps through my UNO's on board voltage regulator before hooking up my servo to the 5 volt pin.

That is the problem. It is particularly misleading for any website, "instructable" or tutorial to suggest that the on-board regulator is actually usable to provide power for anything other than the microprocessor itself and a few indicator LEDs drawing perhaps, 20 mA each. But there are websites, including this Arduino website's tutorials - which imply that you could. :astonished:

And ...

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
Those values are for the digital outputs, but the board itself can supply up to a few hundred mA.

That is, when supplied not by the on-board regulator, but through the USB connector. :cold_sweat: