Servo Motor Project

Hi,

I'm new to the arduino and programming all in itself. I'm doing a project for school that is going to be a electro-mechanical TV wall mount that's run by an arduino micro controller with 5 servo motors.

My question is, is what I'm trying to accomplish even possible.

I'm not worried about the mechanical aspect and linkages of the motor to the wall mount, I'm wondering if the arduino itself and the type of coding allows for what I'd like to do.

I'll need each motor to be able to have a start, stop, forward and reverse control. The most vital part of this is the position control of each motor. The mount will have physical limitations for each parameter I'm trying to move.

For example, the tilt of the mount only ranges between 0 and 15 degrees. Am I able to set limitations in the program so these motors won't exceed these values and destroy the mount?

This is my main concern. I know there will be calculations that need to be done to convert the number of rotations of the motor to the actual degree of rotation of mount.

I'd like to be able to have continuous control over the mount. For example, I press a button once and the mount tilts 0.5 degrees, or I hold the button and every second the mount moves 0.5 degrees (as long as the motor is capable). And once 15 degrees is reached, the button won't allow the motor to move the mount anymore unless it's in the opposite direction.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Also, which arduino board would you recommend for this project. I would also probably like to control it with a wireless remote or PS3 controller afterwards, but that's the end stage of the project. I would need a board that's compatible with all of this.

Thanks again.

If you can use servos the code to control them will be no problem. However you may need some very powerful servos and a correspondingly high-output power supply for them.

Have a look at the RemoteXY Thread which illustrates a simple way to control an Arduino with an Android phone.

...R

Robin2: If you can use servos the code to control them will be no problem. However you may need some very powerful servos and a correspondingly high-output power supply for them.

Have a look at the RemoteXY Thread which illustrates a simple way to control an Arduino with an Android phone.

...R

Thanks for the response! I'll look into that post you linked.

Any other help is greatly appreciated.

For example, the tilt of the mount only ranges between 0 and 15 degrees. Am I able to set limitations in the program so these motors won't exceed these values and destroy the mount?

You said you are not worried about the mechanical linkages, so this should not be a problem. Do you have a servo to use for testing?

zoomkat:
You said you are not worried about the mechanical linkages, so this should not be a problem. Do you have a servo to use for testing?

Well I was just wondering if it was possible to program what I’m trying to do. I’m completely new to programming and micro controllers so I’m starting to study it now. I just wanted to make sure what I’m trying to accomplish was possible before I waste my time. I’m going to get my hands on an arduino board and a servo motor this weekend. Which board would you recommend for my project?