Servo Motor Trying to Sweep but not Working

I am using the TowerPro SG-5010 servo motor and an Arduino Uno and using the example sweep sketch from the Arduino IDE Libraries for Servo Motors. It's connected to GND, pin 9, and 5V pins. I am also using a 9V battery as a power source. However, when it's not moving to the position in the code. It's trying to move, but it only makes ticking noises and doesn't actually move. I also swapped the motor for another of the same make and model and the same thing happened. However, when I swapped it out for a TowerPro MicroServo 9g SG90, it moved with no problems.

Any reason why this is happening, and how can I fix it to work with the TowerPro SG-5010?

Not enough power for the larger servo. The 5V pin can't supply very much. Try powering the servo separately from a battery 4 x AA cells, preferably NiMH rechargeables. Connect battery negative to servo - and Arduino ground and positive to servo +.

Steve

It's connected to GND, pin 9, and 5V pins

NEVER use the 5V pin to power motors or servos, despite the many bad tutorials that tell you to do so. You can damage the Arduino doing that.

Use a separate power supply and connect all the grounds. 4xAA batteries will usually work for 1-2 servos.

mayamac-seid:
I am using the TowerPro SG-5010 servo motor and an Arduino Uno and using the example sweep sketch from the Arduino IDE Libraries for Servo Motors. It's connected to GND, pin 9, and 5V pins. I am also using a 9V battery as a power source. However, when it's not moving to the position in the code. It's trying to move, but it only makes ticking noises and doesn't actually move. I also swapped the motor for another of the same make and model and the same thing happened. However, when I swapped it out for a TowerPro MicroServo 9g SG90, it moved with no problems.

Any reason why this is happening, and how can I fix it to work with the TowerPro SG-5010?

if you are using high power servo motor then 5 volt is not enough power, use extra power for servos, servo do always creates ticking noise, do check any kind or shortage or signal missing problem.

Jack_Arsal:
if you are using high power servo motor then 5 volt is not enough power, use extra power for servos,

The voltage required is not a matter of speculation, it's a matter of reading the data sheet. Many high end servos are indeed 5V.

You shouldn't bandy the word "power" about willy nilly on a forum like this: in physics power has a specific meaning, as the rate of doing work, and in electrical terms it's volts x current.

So yeah, you're probably right that OP needs extra power, but not from volts: it's the lack of current that's usually the issue.

The problem is indeed lack of power.

A properly designed voltage regulator shuts down if too much current is drawn, and the output voltage will drop, sometimes to zero.