Servo/Motor Up and Down Movement

I have two hobby servos in a pan/tilt setup with a smartphone mounted on top.

I would like to move the motorised smartphone mounting up and down and would like to find out what options there are.

Based on my research, linear actuators are too expensive and the range of movement is too limited.

I'm thinking that a railing with wheels to move the mounting up and down or perhaps a belt/pulley system.

I have very little experience in robotics or electronics and need some guidance.

Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks,

Calum

Can you provide a diagram to illustrate what you are thinking of - a photo of a pencil drawing would be fine.

Have you considered a screw jacking system?

What sort of control do you want over the positioning - for example will it be manual control using a potentiometer?

...R

What I am thinking of is a simply a system which allows me to adjust the height of a camera with the use of a joystick.

Moving the joystick forwards increments the height of the camera and moving it backwards decrements the height.

I hope this explains my problem.

ccg123:
What I am thinking of is a simply a system which allows me to adjust the height of a camera with the use of a joystick.

Moving the joystick forwards increments the height of the camera and moving it backwards decrements the height.

I hope this explains my problem.

It does give useful extra information but it doesn't explain the sort of mechanical system you have in mind. The power unit (whatever it may be) will only cause something (levers, screws, whatever) to move. You haven't described the something.

And you haven't said how much movement you need. Moving 2 metres is a lot different from 20cm.

If you could mount the camera on a balanced arm it could probably be moved by a large servo.

...R

The basic linear drives are leadscrew, toothed belt, tensioned wire/string around a drum,
rack-and-pinion. leadscrew is slower and more accurate.

For linear bearings you can have a simple sliding carriage on two round rods (real
bearings or just bushings), or some sort of rails - lots of possibilities.

There are many systems available for moving cameras that are worth looking at for
inspiration.

I have attached a diagram…

I am unsure what the power requirements would be for moving up a 1 to 2 metre track.

I suppose I could use motorised wheels to move up and down the track - how would I hold position when not moving?

Or would a servo controlling an arm be a better solution? - I suppose that would require more power than a track.

I would rather move entirely vertically though.

If you could have a non-stretch endless belt (or at least one with the ends joined together) over a pulley at the top of the frame and all the way to the bottom you could drive the belt with a DC motor with worm gear reduction. The worm gear will prevent slippage.

...R

Or a stepper motor, since they hold position.

You can buy a length of T2.5 or MXL or similar plus pulleys and join the
belt at at the carriage, There may be suitable kits of parts on eBay already
designed for Repraps etc.

You might be able to use a continuous rotation servo as the motor section of your lift system.