Servo motor

My servo motor overheats when powered with 5vdc, I opened it to check what really is the problem, first, I found out that it is the controller that is heating up, then I measured for voltage from the signal cable (yellow cable) of the servo motor, I'm reading 5v from it, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that's the problem

As it stands, the potentiometer is fine and the dc motor is OK, gear arrangements intact.

Please, I need your input...

5v on the signal (yellow cable) of the servo motor, is that supposed to be?

Thanks in advance

My servo motor overheats when powered with 5vdc, I opened it to check what really is the problem, first, I found out that it is the controller that is heating up, then I measured for voltage from the signal cable (yellow cable) of the servo motor, I'm reading 5v from it, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that's the problem

As it stands, the potentiometer is fine and the dc motor is OK, gear arrangements intact.

Please, I need your input...

5v on the signal (yellow cable) of the servo motor, is that supposed to be?

Thanks in advance

Why have you repeated your Post?

You need to provide a wiring diagram showing how you have everything connected and the program that you are using for your test.

...R

Sorry, the reposting was a mistake, it's just the servo that is the problem, but I'll show the program

We still need to see the wiring and program. Putting a constant 5V on the signal wire is wrong so either the wiring is wrong or the program is.

Steve

Hi,
What is the application?
Do you have the servo driving anything that would apply a constant load?

What is the model spec of the servo? link to data/specs.
What are you using as a 5V supply.
Can you please tell us your electronics, programming, Arduino, hardware experience?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

I used my multimeter to measure for voltage from the PWM to ground, and I’m getting 5V reading, which is not supposed to be, that’s what I’m asking of…

Could that be what’s causing the overheating, and how do I curb that…

I attached the schematic for the controller

The application of the servo:
Just to move an IR proximity sensor left and right

Model SG90 servo motor, kc8801 controller

I'm using an Arduino nano
Power source is a Power bank

Hardware experience is very little

SG90 servos are normally driven direct from a digital pin using the Servo library and it's really easy to do. I don't know where the "kc8801 controller" fits in. Have you pulled the SG90 apart and are using the motor and other parts separately?

Unfortunately your diagram tells me nothing useful...what are the pin numbers from? Why is there a potentiometer that isn't connected to anything. Where is the Arduino? You say you have 5V on a PWM pin but it's not connected to anything so who cares?

Try a different diagram that shows the power, the Arduino, the servo and any other components including EXACTLY how they are connected together.

And you STILL haven't shown us the sketch that's causing this 5V to appear.

Steve

Thanks Steve,
I opened the servo motor to try to see why its overheating and saw both the controller and potentiometer, I learnt its what controls the positioning

Though I couldn’t reach the controller, except I completely damage the servo motor, but below is the schematic

In essence, while troubleshooting for the servo motor fault, I found out that I’m having 5v on PWM cable

According to that diagram the servo ground is not connected to the Arduino ground and the Arduino battery is connected the wrong way round. I guess the battery is just dodgy drawing but what about the grounds?

But we're wasting our time without the code. If something is putting 5V on pin 9 of the Nano when everything is connected and powered normally then either the servo is very dead or the code is doing something odd.

Steve

Thanks a lot for your attention, I really appreciate

The servo worked fine on purchase and while running the program l, it just stopped, and started heating up, that’s the more reason I opened to check and found that fault

Below is the program.

Obstacle_avoidance_Robot.ino (2.78 KB)

Hi,
Have you got the gnd of the power lead to the servo connected to the Arduino gnd?

Tom.. :slight_smile:

Hi Tom,

No, I just connected to power supply separately, didn't connect the arduino ground with it.

Hi,
You have to so that you have a complete circuit from the controller through the servo and back to the controller, you have to have a current loop.

Without it, the servo board would have been getting all sorts of noise on its signal input, forcing it to operate in an overloading condition, hence it got hot.

Below a simple example;
Servo_Pot_UNO.jpg

Tom… :slight_smile:

Hi Tom