Servo noise

So i'm working on a iron man motorised face plate but my servo's are making some buzzing noise when they stop. And i don't like that sound XD is there anything i can do about the noise

Any help is much appreciated

Hello,

My gues is that your servos keep working to stay in posistion.
After reaching the endpoint set the servo position a little back so the servos do not need to work against the mechanism.

John

Hi,
How are you powering the servos, what are you controlling them with?
When in the stopped position are they under a load?
How have you got the servos mounted, is the noise amplified do to the housing/helmet?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

hello,
i am powering the servo's with a arduino and also controlling them with it.
yes when they stop they are under a little load of holding the faceplate up,
i have got the servo's mounted on a piece of card board that does amplifie the sound but the sound is coming from inside the servo's i think.

sem

Hi,
Powering servos from the 5V pin of the arduino is not recommended as the pin cannot supply the current needed by servos, especially those under load.

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?
Please not a Fritzy picture.

Thanks.. Tom.. :slight_smile:

so this is the circuit, i would like to power it externaly not by usb but have not figured out how to do that yet

,sem

Hi,
710e7ed70901fae2578f6ca8ef21513373864b62.png
Sorry that is a dreaded fritzy not a circuit diagram.
Can you please post a copy of your circuit, a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

That will be the main cause of your problem, the USB may not be able to provide stable 5V when servos are powered up.

https://www.packtpub.com/mapt/book/hardware-and-creative/9781849517584/9/ch09lvl1sec63/multiple-servos-with-external-power-supply

Tom… :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Powering servos from the 5V pin of the arduino is not recommended as the pin cannot supply the current needed by servos, especially those under load.

Stronger than that - never power a servo from Arduino 5V, that's most of the servo problems people report here.

If you servo is heavily loaded at rest it will overheat and destroy itself (get cooked). Measure the current taken by
the servo at rest, it should be no more than 0.1A or so (it may peak over an amp when moving, that's normal, but it
cannot sustain that current continuously or anything like it).

Metal cased servos fare much better in dissipating heat and will cope better with static mechanical loads

I think at the top of this section in big red letters should be " DO NOT POWER SERVO’S FROM THE ARDUINO 5V PIN.
It seems like 90 percent of the servo problems relate to this very problem.