Servo not operating properly :-/

Hi,

Today, I tried connecting my recently purchased Hitec HS-625MG servo motor. I uploaded the example sketch “Servo Sweep”. However, it turned 180 degrees and after that it was just grinding teeths in the end position (not a pleasent sound), so I disconnected it imediatly.

I attached the datasheet for the servo. Anyone have any idea as to why this happens?

• Aleksander

datasheet.pdf (193 KB)

Servos vary in the number of degrees they can turn through. Try modifying a copy of sweep so that it moves the servo through a smaller arc - perhaps 45 to 135 to start with. Then you can find out by experiment what range your servo is capable of.

Sorry, but no matter what values i try I still experience the same behaviour... Any other suggestions?

Don't forget that the servo needs its own power supply - the arduino generally can't provide enough current. Connect the grounds.

The servo is powered from a separate power supply (Sparkfuns DC/DC breakout module). Supplies 5.5V.

I'm not sure exactly what this means:

CLOCK WISE/PULSE TRAVELING 1500 TO 1900usec

But try using the writemicroseconds method inside that range. For preference, don't even try to make it sweep, just try to send the servo somewhere from setup & have loop do nothing.

aleksanderhansen: Today, I tried connecting my recently purchased Hitec HS-625MG servo motor. I uploaded the example sketch "Servo Sweep". However, it turned 180 degrees and after that it was just grinding teeths in the end position (not a pleasent sound), so I disconnected it imediatly.

Does this happen if you power up the servo but not the Arduino? Does it happen in the short period while the Arduino is going through its reset routine Have you the servo GND connected to the Arduino GND Have you another servo that you can try?

...R

Hi,

This is embarresing. I checked not once, but three times that my gnd's where wired correctly (I have a lot of stuff connected), but It turned out to be a wiring issue.

Sorry for wasting time.