servo operated lid

Hi

I am trying to make a small box 3x3x3 inches with a servo operated lid
it is to fit in a motor vehicle which is !2 volts
what i am trying to achieve is when the ignition is switch on the lid would open and stay open until the ignition is turn off then the lid would close
i see you can do this on a timed operating
any help would be grateful

Look up "useless box". It does more than you need, but it should have useful pointers for the servo piece.

Yeah you can do that quite easily. You will need to interface your servo motor with arduino first. Move it in both clockwise & anticlockwise directions. IF you can do this then rest won't be much difficult. So, first learn about arduino and do some effort and then ask questions here.

To build on what Jackthom41 said:

Figure out how to interface with the motor vehicle to provide a clean 5v power source for an Arduno (or were you using another power source?)

Figure out how to use an optoisolator to "step down" 12v to 5V or so and detect whether the voltage at an Arduino pin is high or low (key on or off).

Figure out how to control a servo with the sweep sketch.

Essentially break it down into pieces and do the pieces.

steve63:
Hi

I am trying to make a small box 3x3x3 inches with a servo operated lid
it is to fit in a motor vehicle which is !2 volts
what i am trying to achieve is when the ignition is switch on the lid would open and stay open until the ignition is turn off then the lid would close
i see you can do this on a timed operating
any help would be grateful

Would be much easier to simple operate the lid via a small solenoid.
Ignition on....solenoid on.....lid open.
Ignition off....solenoid off.... lid closed.

No need for any Arduino.

thanks guys

i am new to this sort of thing
i have watch some video on this
i can step down the voltage from 12 v to 5 v should not be hard to do
on the video i have seen it show the servo on a timed limit not on and of with power source