servocity linear servo actuator controlled with arduino

Hey ppl,

I am new to using arduino's, servos and the like. I need to use an arduino uno to control 3 actuators for a final year project. My team has already purchased 1 linear servo from servo city http://www.servocity.com/html/heavy_duty_linear_servo__115__.html . I have tried to find code to help me control the actuator but with no luck. I have hooked up the digital output pin 3 to the yellow controller wire and am using this http://principialabs.com/arduino-serial-servo-control/ tutorial and code to try and make it work. I did set the maxpulse = 2000 and minpulse =1000 according to the specs from the servocity site. I also give it a slower turning (retracting, extending) rate. The only thing that happens when i upload the code is that i hear the actuator make noise (it was at the max stroke when i started with it). I have checked the power supply voltage and to make sure it is the correct 12v and the current should be enough since i'm using a 360 watt switching power supply.

If someone could let me know what i'm doing wrong that would be great.

sorry if this is in the wrong section.

How are you powering your Arduino? Did you connect the ground of the actuator to the ground of your Arduino? You just mentioned the yellow controller wire, what about the black and red?

-- The Rugged Motor Driver: two H-bridges, more power than an L298, fully protected

I am providing the arduino power through usb. i have just left the red and black wire alone because they are supposed to supply supply power but not required here.

Ah, but there are TWO red-and-black wires: one that is the power connector coming from the actuator (and yes, you can leave that alone) but another set that goes along with the yellow wire on that three-wire connector. You need to connect the black wire there to the ground of your Arduino.

-- The Arduino Drum Machine: MIDI development system with 14-track MIDI drum machine sequencer / groove-box software

sweet that worked!! thanks man. it moved to center as soon as i started the program. but it still doesn't move according to the arrow keys. i'll fiddle with it a bit

I've looked at those linear actuators and "ouch!" on the price. You might be better off buying linear actuators with internal pots and drive them with an h-bridge.

http://www.firgelliauto.com/

thanks for the advice zoomkat but its a bit late for us to change the design because we have the platform and connections all ready for this specific actuator. plus its all paid for by the university and gov so we don't have to worry too much about prices.

i would definitely go with cheaper actuators if i was building this with my own money.

plus its all paid for by the university and gov so we don't have to worry too much about prices.

i would definitely go with cheaper actuators if i was building this with my own money.

This here taxpayer says ouch, your free stuff is killing me. :(

plus its all paid for by the university and gov so we don't have to worry too much about prices.

One of the shrinking "free stores" (along with public lands and forest) open for exploitation.