Set up accelerometer- gyroscope - compass

Hi guys I have a question : is it hard to settle an accelerometer- gyroscope?
I ask this because I have read many topics that make me think that it may be too hard for a beginner like me.
I have another solution :
Pololu - Zumo Shield for Arduino, v1.2 (a shield which has accelerometer- gyroscope - compass already)

Plus if I want an interractive robot, it is better to use a Camera Module for the head of the robot (like the PixyRobot from Adafruit) and an Ultrasonic Module for the bottom to identify obstacle, am I correct?

How hard this might be depends entirely on your background and if you are willing to study.

What do you want to do with the accelerometer, gyroscope and compass?

jremington:
How hard this might be depends entirely on your background and if you are willing to study.

What do you want to do with the accelerometer, gyroscope and compass?

Hi,
I am begiining with arduino. The project is to make an interractive robot.

Fabien77:
I am begiining with arduino.

Great!

Fabien77:
The project is to make an interractive robot.

That's VERY vague. We need a LOT more detail about that.

lg, couka

couka:
Great!

That's VERY vague. We need a LOT more detail about that.

lg, couka

Hi Couka,

Well, I plan to begin to build a head with this :

I don't know yet if I will use a camera module, an ultrasonic sensor or an infrared motion sensor. I believe I could use a camera sensor the "eye" on the head and an ultrasonic sensor for obstacle detection.

I would like to make this head turn toward someone.
This is quite similar to the Zumo robot :

Then I would like to mount this on a chassis and set all this on tank trails. He would move and avoid abject, go toward a moving person (I don't know if it is possible actually). I saw the Zumo robot doing something similar but I don't know if this product has a particular technology implemented for this.

The robot would be around 20 cm x 20 cm for the chassis and 30 cm high.

Finally I would like him to make sounds and lights when hearing noise.

I think I will buy a Uno card and a motor shield to drive the motor but as I said before I am a bit worried about the accelerometer- gyroscope - compass stuff and when I saw this Pololu product I thought it would make it easier for me (not to spend an eternity configuring the sensors).

Well here is the details about my project :slight_smile:
Any help is appreciated !

The Gyro etc. stuff is relatively easy to do. Your main problem is working with the camera. Detecting a moving object, while the camera itself moves as well is VERY hard, but I might be missing smth here.

lg, couka

I agree with couka, but you still haven't explained what the accelerometer/gyro would do.

In any case, break the project into pieces and get each piece working before trying to put everything together.

jremington:
I agree with couka, but you still haven’t explained what the accelerometer/gyro would do.

In any case, break the project into pieces and get each piece working before trying to put everything together.

I want to use those modules to make the robot react in case someone touches it. Or make some teds light up when the robot is on a sloope of more than 20%. Things like that.

use those modules to make the robot react in case someone touches it.

That won't work if the robot is moving.

jremington:
That won't work if the robot is moving.

Ok
Can the robot, with the correct coding, goes toward somebody and stop at a certain distance.
With the sounds, I have understood that it is quite hard to do it. But with a cam sensor is it possible?

Can the robot, with the correct coding, goes toward somebody and stop at a certain distance.

You would need the correct sensors as well, but for a beginner this is very, very hard to do.

jremington:
You would need the correct sensors as well, but for a beginner this is very, very hard to do.

Ok
Let’s imagine the robot has no wheels and just a head : a cam mounted on a bracket kit for servos.
As I see it (but I can be wrong), if i connect the cam sensor to a Uno card and if I say in the coding : move toward the direction where you see a movement (this is no that simple I know), then the head will turn I think.
Then with the wheels (well trails in my case), I could do the same. Or am I totally trying to do something REALLY REALLY hard?

Try it and see!

jremington:
Try it and see!

Ok.