Setting Notifications Page does not Load

When I edit the forum settings in my profile, I can not set my notification preferences.

I click Settings -> Notifications -> Notification Preferences, but it locks up my web browser.

I've now tried Chrome and Firefox on a few different computers.

Does this happen to anyone else?

BigBobby:

Yes.

I don't expect this will be repaired soon – like a lot of other errors. This forum is really demotivating.

Greets,

Gregor

gregorss:
I don't expect this will be repaired soon – like a lot of other errors. This forum is really demotivating.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

It seems there's no place to list the threads that you've posted in with new responses either?

BigBobby:
It seems there’s no place to list the threads that you’ve posted in with new responses either?

Is this a question?

Gregor

Yes, in most forums I use I can see a list of topics that I've posted in. When those topics get new responses, they'll be moved to the top of the list.

The Arduino forum has a way for me to list all of my posts, but they don't order them based upon new responses.

Overall, it's difficult to know if your topics have new responses in this forum.

BigBobby:
Overall, it’s difficult to know if your topics have new responses in this forum.

And this is just one of a vast number of flaws and errors.

Gregor

BigBobby:
.... in my profile, I can not set my notification preferences.

I click Settings -> Notifications -> Notification Preferences, but it locks up my web browser.

Yes I'm experiencing this, although I just get a blank Tab, every time.

I would like to get emails whenever someone replies to any of my posts. I used to get notification emails but just discovered they've been off for some months.

Hoping this can be fixed , and not just for me .... please.

gregorss:
Yes.

Greets,

Gregor

Agreed. I've barely used this forum in years, and now I'm beginning to remember why. I was blocked from editing a post on the grounds that I'd posted it within five minutes...

and again

"You have exceeded the number of posts you can make in a 5 minutes period. Please try again later."

• I just might be a spammer.... One of those really cunning "sleeper" spammers, who make two dozen posts over a four year period, then lie in wait, for their chance to post a link to Bigger :o .com, presumably.

Now, I realise that

a) I can't get notified about any response to the post I made

b) The person whose post I was responding to can't be notified about my post either

c) There is literally no way to turn on notifications, either by default on a case by case basis.

This is not directed to moderators. This is directed to the people I like to call "The Idiots Responsible".

Why do I think they're idiots? Because they're amateurish? No, because they seem to be attempting financial suicide by alienating as many potential users of their products as they can.

Why should I buy Arduino, or Genuino, which is an open source product, as I understand it, over a perfectly legitimate but far cheaper alternative? Is it the wonderful support? Is it being part of a thriving community which enhances the over all experience? Is it being treated like dirt stuck to someone's shoe?

Answers on a postcard... which I'm unlikely to ever receive.

BigBobby:
Yes, in most forums I use I can see a list of topics that I've posted in.

That part does at least appear to work at the moment - under Forum -> Profile (which appears only when it feels like doing so) -> Forum Settings -> (Pencil icon) EDIT -> Settings (hover for menu) - >Notifications -> Watched topics.... (deep breath)

• though there is no way to turn on notifications in that list - only "Apply default", which is no notification at all, or "Unnotify". Does Franz Kafka work here?

BigBobby:
Overall, it's difficult to know if your topics have new responses in this forum.

Agreed; not without putting in a level of effort that I'm just not prepared to put in.

Andy2No:
a) I can't get notified about any response to the post I made

That’s not true. You can configure to get a mail if a new posting appears in a certain thread.

Andy2No:
b) The person whose post I was responding to can't be notified about my post either

That’s not true either. Every user can configure to get a mail if a new posting appears in a certain thread.
I have configured that I get a mail every time someone quotes parts of any of my posts. Sadly most users don’t quote at all or quote in a way I am never informed in any way about their answer.

Andy2No:
c) There is literally no way to turn on notifications, either by default on a case by case basis.

See above.

Andy2No:
.. This is directed to the people I like to call "The Idiots Responsible".

I don’t think that anyone here is responsible for anything. Nor does anyone feel any kind of responsibility for anything in this forum.

Andy2No:
... Because they're amateurish?

They are amateurs (or idiots). This forum is being worked on while its online, a really stupid and amateurish thing.

regards,

Gregor

Andy2No:
Why do I think they're idiots? Because they're amateurish? No, because they seem to be attempting financial suicide by alienating as many potential users of their products as they can.

Why should I buy Arduino, or Genuino, which is an open source product, as I understand it, over a perfectly legitimate but far cheaper alternative? Is it the wonderful support? Is it being part of a thriving community which enhances the over all experience? Is it being treated like dirt stuck to someone's shoe?

I have some sympathy for these sentiments.

But it is also my firm belief that the world is as you expect to find it. If you approach it with an optimistic outlook it is a friendly and helpful place.

There is a thriving community here and it does provide good support. I prefer to focus on those aspects rather than on the negatives.

However I am a lot less inclined to support "genuine" Arduino (or Genuino) products since the people at the top have become embroiled in a silly dispute about something that is totally irrelevant to us users.

...R

Robin2:
There is a thriving community here and it does provide good support. I prefer to focus on those aspects rather than on the negatives.

Yes. And no :slight_smile:

There are a lot of very experienced people here and I benefit a lot from that. But there are annoying flaws that nobody can ignore or not focus on them sometimes.

It’s those experienced people who motivate me using this forum. The forum software itself and the people that drive/program it demotivate.

Gregor

BigBobby:
When I edit the forum settings in my profile, I can not set my notification preferences.

I've now tried Chrome and Firefox on a few different computers.

Same here. The forum alerts system is broken. Cannot see the settings page, nor get alerts on the website. It's 2016, why isn't there a simple link to see my own posts? !!

Please Arduino.cc powers that be - move this forum to a modern platform like Discourse.

electronicsguy:
why isn't there a simple link to see my own posts? !!

I don't want to give the impression that I am 100% satisfied with the Forum but finding your own posts is provided for. Just click on your name beside one of your posts or open your Profile and then click Edit Forum Settings to get to the same page

...R

Robin2:
I don't want to give the impression that I am 100% satisfied with the Forum but finding your own posts is provided for. Just click on your name beside one of your posts or open your Profile and then click Edit Forum Settings to get to the same page

...R

The first method is not possible if you aren't already on a page with your posts.

The second method is completely un-intuitive. How is viewing posts editing setting?

gregorss:
That’s not true. You can configure to get a mail if a new posting appears in a certain thread.

gregorss:
That’s not true either. Every user can configure to get a mail if a new posting appears in a certain thread.

My problem is that although these features exist they don’t work reliably. I have subscribed to a couple of the forum sections and I get emails for only about 2/3 of the new threads in those sections. In the last week I’ve noticed a new problem where I almost never get emails for new posts in threads I’m watching(and yes, I know I have to open the thread after each email to continue to get emails). This makes it almost impossible to help people because usually there is some back and forth to get enough information to be able to provide a solution.

I also noticed that the Forum Settings > Settings > Notifications pages just load as a blank screen while I was trying to figure out why I don’t get emails anymore.

gregorss:
I have configured that I get a mail every time someone quotes parts of any of my posts. Sadly most users don’t quote at all or quote in a way I am never informed in any way about their answer.

I think quoting is a good technique to increase the likelihood that people asking for help actually are notified of a response.

I see so many threads that the OP never comes back to and I think some of these are that they just don’t realize anyone responded. I think the button “Receive Emails and Notifications” is misleading, it initially made me think that was my current setting.

electronicsguy:
The second method is completely un-intuitive. How is viewing posts editing setting?

I agree 100%

pert:
I see so many threads that the OP never comes back to and I think some of these are that they just don't realize anyone responded.

That may be true. But it is not difficult to open up the Forum and check a Thread. Why, they might even discover that they had several typos and a generally incoherent question when they re-read their own Post.

...R

Robin2:
I agree 100%

That may be true. But it is not difficult to open up the Forum and check a Thread. Why, they might even discover that they had several typos and a generally incoherent question when they re-read their own Post.

...R

Of course it's not difficult. But we're talking about improvements which will benefit 1000s of forum users. Simply having a forum which doesn't scale well is not sufficient, and that's what's happening here.

The forum needs a modern interface like Discourse, and support features like notifications (not email), merging small multiple responses, colored feed to new topics, tagging, etc.