Setting up 6 LEDs with 6 SPST switchs

So I am trying to figure out a way to have all 6 leds lit while none of the 6 switches are pressed. Once one of the switches is made, the associated led will stay lit while all the others turn off.
If anyone can help, that would be great!
The application is for a manual transmision car. Basically what i want to do is when the car is in Neutral then all LEDs on. If it is in 1st,2nd,etc, then the LED associated with that gear will be lit.

What is your background?

I am fairly new to the arduino world. What exactly do you mean by "background"?

Do you know C++.
Do you have electronics experience.
Have you gone through the examples in the IDE?
What Arduino do you have?
Have you written any sketches by yourself?

Show use your proposed schematic.

mitchm95:
So I am trying to figure out a way to have all 6 leds lit while none of the 6 switches are pressed. Once one of the switches is made, the associated led will stay lit while all the others turn off.
If anyone can help, that would be great!
The application is for a manual transmision car. Basically what i want to do is when the car is in Neutral then all LEDs on. If it is in 1st,2nd,etc, then the LED associated with that gear will be lit.

It sounds like you just need a couple of if statements.

pseudo-code

if(no switches are pressed) {
    turn on all lights
}
else {
    turn on the one light you want depending on your gear.  
}

Or even:

pseudo-code

if( gear 1) {
    light up light 1
}
else if (gear 2) {
    light up light 2
}
else if (gear 3) {
    light up light 3
}
else {
    light up all lights
}

Delta_G:
It sounds like you just need a couple of if statements.

pseudo-code

if(no switches are pressed) {

turn on all lights
}
else {
    turn on the one light you want depending on your gear. 
}

Awesome thanks! I was reading how to set these up but i was getting stumped on making it so all the gears worked in conjunction. Makes sense now!

People get blinded by code all the time. "I just don't know how to say that in code" is what they'll say. But the problem is that they've never sat down and tried to say it in regular English (or other mother tongue). Pretend you've got a little man who can do things for you but he has to have exact explicit instructions for every step. If you can explain it to him in a way that would let him do it and leave no ambiguity then you can write code for it. It's the logic that's the part to figure out. The code is pretty simple, just if this then that.

If you can't explain it to the little man in English then you're not ready to start writing it in code yet.