Setting up multiple distance sensors (Arduino Uno)

Hello,

Me and my partner are trying to build a project that is supposed to have multiple distance sensors (about nine), unfortunately there aren't enough timers in the Arduino to set up more than 3 sensors. we were told there is a way to bypass this but weren't able to find how. we'll appreciate any advise on how to connect these 9 sensors to the arduino board, anything will go.

There are many kinds of distance sensors. What kind are yours?

Did you read the "how to use the forum-please read" stickies?

groundFungus:
There are many kinds of distance sensors. What kind are yours?

Did you read the “how to use the forum-please read” stickies?

We’re can use any, but let’s say Ultrasonic or Infrared

What are the minimum and maximum distances to be measured? Which Arduino are you using?

Infrared distance sensor? Tell us more.

You're aware that using multiple ultrasonic sensors simultaneously is generally considered a Bad Thing?

Mostly wondering what you plan to use the built-in timers for.

For the ultrasound sensors, the common HC-SR04 is read using the pulseIn() function. No need for timers. If using light-based distance sensors like the IR one you suggest (and which I also never heard of) or a more common laser range finder the pulse round trip is too fast for an Arduino to measure, that's done on the sensor, so here also you don't need timers.

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html

How are you going to use the sensors, a diagram of how you would set them out and the area they would cover will help us suggest a sensor type.

Thanks.. Tom.. :)