Setting Wifly without loading sketch

Good morning.

I am using the Wifly module by Robin Network and I would like to know how I can change the SSID and password from an external network without having to enter the console mode.

I have to program on Arduino, connected to wifi user to send and receive some data. I can not know what will be the wifi settings from the user (SSID, password and encryption type).

If a user buys my device, he must connect it via USB to his PC, so he can enter his wifi name and password, and the arduino will connect wirelessly. But all this, without that user having arduino programming skills, because he can not load the code with the Ide. Perhaps by another program or by editing a configuration file.

The best example to show what I need is a wifi printer, which you set when you first buy it.

How could I? Thank you.

There is absolutely no need to hard-code your Wifi settings into the sketch. You can store the credentials into the EEPROM for example to ensure you have them after a reset again.

Hello pylon,

thanks for your answer. That solves part of the problem but, How can someone change the eeprom from the pc without using the IDE so that anyone can set up his wifi.

How can someone change the eeprom from the pc without using the IDE so that anyone can set up his wifi.

You put a sketch on the Arduino which listens to the serial interface and reacts on commands sent over it. Within your sketch you can then save the necessary information to the EEPROM or read it from there.

Newer modules from Roving Networks are able to span their own Wifi network (access point mode). So you can set your WiFly module to access point mode at delivery, the user connects his Notebook to that access point, configures the actual Wifi credentials and the modules connects to the WLAN. You may have to insert a button into your design to bring the module back to the delivery state for reconfiguration, though.