Seven segment LED for cathode

As per your guidelines, I gave used serial.println. my dec_digits is not holding my decimal point

But you still have not put your code in code tags

So what happens f you don’t add the dp, just use one condition (the first one)…
Does it display the digits ?

Yes it displays the same digit.

The ‘correct’ digits…???

What I’m trying to do is exclude anything that could possibly interfere.

Once you confirm that, we should try just displaying that 0x80 byte without any digits…
If that works, I’d start looking at your wiring.

Hi,
The code you posted will not even compile.

How does your code work if you COMMENT out the void loop() part of your code.

PLEASE READ THIS
To add code please click this link;

Can you please post a copy of your circuit, in CAD or a picture of a hand drawn circuit in jpg, png?

Tom… :grinning: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: :australia:

Hi guys,
I am using TPIC6C596 shift register and this register is capable of sending 8 bits. When I start sending 8 bits, I am getting only the last bit (i.e decimal point).
But without the 8th bit (decimal point), my shift register can transfer whole 7 bits at a time.
May i get the solution for this?

Your duplicate topic on the same subject has been merged into this one

Cross-posting is against the rules of the forum. The reason is that duplicate posts can waste the time of the people trying to help. Someone might spend 15 minutes (or more) writing a detailed answer on this topic, without knowing that someone else already did the same in the other topic.

Repeated cross-posting will result in a timeout from the forum.

In the future, please take some time to pick the forum board that best suits the topic of your question and then only post once to that forum board. This is basic forum etiquette, as explained in the sticky “How to use this forum - please read.” post you will find at the top of every forum board. It contains a lot of other useful information. Please read it.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Both are different. Why you are merging it.

So that the full background to your project and problems with it are available without having to ask for them all over again

Hi,
I think I have an issue with the shift register.
am using TPIC6C596 shift register and this register is capable of sending 8 bits. When I start sending 8 bits, I am getting only the last bit (i.e decimal point). But without the 8th bit (decimal point), my shift register can transfer whole 7 bits at a time. May i get the solution for this? When I implement in the proteus I am getting proper output. while doing the same in the hardware, I face the issue. For example, 0b00000110, I am getting the value as 1. if i do, 0b00000110 | 0b10000000, I am getting only .(dot) without 1. I should get 1.(one + dot). shiftOut(DS_pin, SHCP_pin, MSBFIRST, dec_digits[(buf[i] - 0x30)]|0x80); What will be the issue.?

0r my doubt is when supply goes to decimal point, all the other pins goes to OFF condition.
When supply don’t go to the decimal point, all the other pins goes to ON condition.
Is that correct?

It’s time for you to show a circuit diagram… not a fritzy or blurry photo.

Can i send you in the mail address?

You went to all that trouble to sketch up the circuit, but posted a crappy facsimile of it!
I can’t read some of the pin /net names.

Where are the displays ?

How about a full-res, contrasty screen capture (at least) to replace your phone image ?

Send me your email address please?

Why on earth would he want to do that? What use would it be? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I want to print my output with the decimal points in the same segment.
I don’t know why I am facing this issue?

Just to conclude this nonsense…
Your two lines of code (with and without the dp), look ok).
The complete schematic, and any other input will help. Remember, we don’t have your hardware in front of us.

I’ve been looking at your drawing, and in as much as it is, it also looks ok, but is missing the important bits - the displays… how are the cathodes driven ?

The only other thing I can think of without seeing everything, is that your digit multiplexing is happening fast enough that you don’t see the first character before it’s overwritten by a blank digit with a dp.

Not looking too closely at your code, perhaps you’re not continuously alternating between the digits… just writing them once, then taking a rest. That will only display the last shifted character on the last display… you need to keep refreshing all the digits at a modest speed.

Hi guys,
I have a question with the seven segment display. I have a cathode display and all the LEDs in the seven segment are displaying fine when I display it seperately.
But when I add the dp pin with the other LEDs, I am getting only the dp pin.
Can anyone resolve my issue?

Why my decimal point is not adding to the other LEDs. if I give 0B11111111, I am getting only the decimal point. Why all others LEDs are OFF.?