SevSeg.h library not working

I’ve been trying to use the SevSeg.h library to make a speedometer sign for our parking lot. I keep getting error messages. I downloaded the ZIP library from GitHub and have reinstalled it twice through the IDE’s “Include .ZIP Library” function. I followed all of the instructions I could find on the forum for fixing it. I’ve restarted the arduino app, restarted my computer, searched for the specific error message, tried different sketches, checked for stray characters from copying and pasting from the internet, etc. The error that I keep getting is “sevseg was not declared in this scope” or “COMMON-CATHODE was not declared in this scope.” I get it no matter whose sketch I’m using, even when it’s the sample sketches from the GitHub page for this library. Here’s the code that I’m using at the moment:

#include <SevSeg.h>
SevSeg sevseg;

void setup() {
  byte numDigits = 4;
  byte digitPins[] = {10, 11, 12, 13};
  byte segmentPins[] = {9, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 3, 7};
  bool resistorsOnSegments = false;
  bool updateWithDelaysIn = false;
  bool leadingZeros = false;
  bool disableDecPoint = true;
  byte hardwareConfig = COMMON_CATHODE;
  sevseg.begin(hardwareConfig, numDigits, digitPins, segmentPins, resistorsOnSegments, updateWithDelays, leadingZeros, disableDecPoint);
  sevseg.setBrightness(90);
}

void loop() {
  sevseg.setNumber(3141, 3);
  sevseg.refreshDisplay(); // Must run repeatedly }

Here is the error message. I couldn’t include the whole thing or it goes over the 9,000 character limit.
The fact that it doesn’t understand COMMON_CATHODE makes me think that there might be something wrong with the library.
Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

In file included from F:\Documents\Arduino\PracTimer\PracTimer.ino:1:0:

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:31:3: error: stray ‘\302’ in program

SevSeg/SevSeg.h at master · DeanIsMe/SevSeg · GitHub

^

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:31:3: error: stray ‘\267’ in program

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:31:3: error: stray ‘\302’ in program

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:31:3: error: stray ‘\267’ in program

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:268:10: warning: missing terminating ’ character

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:170:267: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

Features

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:184:332: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

• Customer stories
  • F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:185:308: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

• Security
  • F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:205:299: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

• Explore GitHub
  • F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:208:113: error: ‘contribute’ does not name a type

Learn & contribute

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:241:262: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

Plans

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:249:312: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

• Nonprofit
  • F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:250:335: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

• Education
  • In file included from F:\Documents\Arduino\PracTimer\PracTimer.ino:1:0:

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:411:21: error: ‘in’ does not name a type

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:417:23: error: ‘up’ does not name a type

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:906:126: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘;’ token

:0:9: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:906:128: note: in expansion of macro ‘ARDUINO’

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:906:140: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘=’ token

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:910:151: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:910:194: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:918:151: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:918:195: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:1154:72: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘<’ token

F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg/SevSeg.h:1216:39: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant

F:\Documents\Arduino\PracTimer\PracTimer.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:

PracTimer:8: error: ‘sevseg’ was not declared in this scope

sevseg.begin(COMMON_CATHODE, numDigits, digitPins, segmentPins);

^

PracTimer:8: error: ‘COMMON_CATHODE’ was not declared in this scope

sevseg.begin(COMMON_CATHODE, numDigits, digitPins, segmentPins);
    ^

F:\Documents\Arduino\PracTimer\PracTimer.ino: In function ‘void loop()’:

PracTimer:13: error: ‘sevseg’ was not declared in this scope

sevseg.setNumber(3141, 3);

^

PracTimer:14: error: expected ‘}’ at end of input

sevseg.refreshDisplay(); // Must run repeatedly }

Multiple libraries were found for “SevSeg.h”
    Used: F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg
    Not used: F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg-master
    exit status 1
    ‘sevseg’ was not declared in this scope

The "stray '\xxx in program" type of messages typically mean that you've downloaded code from a web page and got garbage (non-printing) characters included.

It looks like you downloaded the HTML of GitHub's web pages for SevSeg.h, you silly goose.

Please delete F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg. It looks like you also did a proper installation of the library from .zip file you get from GitHub's Clone or Download > Download ZIP button so you probably only need to delete the bad copy at F:\Documents\Arduino\libraries\SevSeg to solve the problem.

Pert, that did it. You're a genius! Thanks for the help. I'm not sure how that happened.
    gfvalvo, thanks for the suggestion also.

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear it's working now. Enjoy!
    Per