sewer water level

Hi all,

I want to install a new TEE fitting and in that, install a sensor to monitor the water level in the sewer.
the location will be in air, above the water in the pipe. and although the water may rise to this point, I do not expect it to.

I have seen that automotive back-up sensors are ‘weatherproof’.

I know this is a pretty crappy place to install a sensor. I am looking to see if anyone else has used one of these automotive type back-up sensors to monitor water level in a very high humidity environment.

"I know this is a pretty crappy place to install a sensor"

Nuff said... :slight_smile:

A simple mercury switch in a water proof float gives a go no go solution.

Agreed…like this…

Hi,
The business I work for, we manufacture custom depth sensors for such “fluids”, they are a pressure transducer that is immersed (submerged) in the effluent on a lanyard and tube that has the 4-20mA loop wires.
We also make them for fresher water.
The effluent has RED tube, water has BLACK.

Yes, they do clean them off when they are bought in for cal or repair.
A really nice method to check depth, but you need good sealing.

Tom… :slight_smile:

the pipe is 4 inch diameter.
the normal water level is 0
with each flush, we get a flash flood, then a simple drain.
with a clog, the water level rises less than an inch per flush, but eventually will make it to the top.

what I am looking for is to measure the level so that if it rises about half way, and stays there for minutes, it is clogged.
then sound the alarm.

the float would be chewed up by the auger bits.

recessing the sensor into the pipe would allow such tools, founded during the Inquisition, to pass by safely.

the pressure sensor would be an option, but can it monitor 2 inches of water depth ?

I am thinking two electrodes. just measure for resistance. PVC pipe can withstand the implements of destruction, so some metal that is well reinforced should be able to as well.

the other device, the high pressure water jet, will rip rust off the inside of the pipes. this too has to be addressed.

and, anything that has any edge to it, will catch strings and paper and create a clogg. the ultimate goal is a smooth surface.

Capacitive sensor.